C H A P T E R 17

A/N: This chapter includes mentions of attempted assault -- drugging.

Ax drove like a maniac in his quest to reach the hospital, as if endangering himself would provide any help. If Mick had been there he would probably have made a remark about how if he went any faster he wouldn’t have trouble finding a bed right next to his brother.

At least he made it in one piece.

Even though his heart was shattered.

If anything happened to Eros he didn’t know what he would do, how he would go on. Ax didn’t show it often but his family was the most important thing in the world for him.

Eros had been a role model for Ax when he was younger, even though he was only two years older than him. His illness had made him grow up far too fast.

Eros used to check for monsters under Apollo and Ax’s beds, used to help them get ready for school when there wasn’t much time, Lorenzo overslept most of the time and had apparently passed that endearing quality to his sons.

He had also taken Ax and Mick under his wing in high-school, let’s just say that they weren’t social butterflies like Apollo, who seemed to win every single person he wanted with a smile. Even when his depression got worse, he didn’t stop trying to help his younger brothers, he didn’t stop loving his family and trying his best to get better for them.

Ax felt his eyes glisten and wiped them immediately with the back of his hand, not even letting the tears escape and stain his stubbled cheeks. He couldn’t afford to break down just yet. That time would come later when he was all alone in his house where there would be no prying eyes.

After he was certain Eros would make it out alive.

Then he would cry.

“Room 303, fifth floor

“Room 303, fifth floor.” The lady in the reception informed him, her eyes showing signs of tiredness. It must be exhausting, having to deal with family members of patients all day.

His feet felt heavy as they carried him to the elevator. He felt uneasy inside that big box-like building, with its asylum white walls, the terrazzo flooring in a beige, and the white scrubs. How were those people not going insane? But then he remembered his own house and decided to keep his mouth shut.

As soon as he exited from the elevator he saw his mother, Andromeda, crying inside Lorenzo’s arms who was rubbing her back trying his hardest to soothe her and his face instantly paled.

It’s bad, he thought, suddenly feeling stuck, if she’s crying like this, it’s bad. Oh fuck, Eros, be alive you fucker.

Further down the hall, Apollo was sitting down on the cold floor while Olivia had Theo in her arms trying to soothe him, just like Lorenzo was. Olivia’s face was sheer white, resembling a ghost. There were trails of black tears staining her cheeks, making her appear more like a porcelain doll than an actual human being.