FOURTEEN

Fred's POV
I can't open my eyes. I can't move. I can hear, but that's it.

The last thing I remember is seeing Elle running towards me, yelling my name as a Death Eater called out a curse and the way my heart skipped a beat in fear. Not fear for myself, but fear for Elle.

Everything after that is blank, except for the feeling of someone pushing me and something hard- probably brick or rock or something- coming down on me.

I hear noises. I can make out the sound of George's voice, calling out to someone.

Now I hear Sirius's voice and another strange voice. I still can't make out exactly what they're saying.
---
I hear George talking to me. He told me about what happened to Betty. He told me about Elle. He told me about Callie- how much she's grown already.

Elle. Every time George mentions her or she holds my hand and talks to me I will myself to open my eyes, but to no avail. I want to wake up. I need to be back with my family. They need me.
----
"Good news!" Some healer exclaimed.

"You're getting released tomorrow!" The same Healer exclaimed.

"The only catch is that you have to go see a therapist to help with the PTSD once a week," she rambled on.

Elle has PTSD?
-----
A hand gripped mine tightly. It must be Elle.

"C'mon Fred. Wake up. Wake up. I need you. I don't know how much longer I'm going to last without you. You die, I die. You live, I live. I love you so much, Freddie," she whispered.

She sounded so weak and vulnerable. It made my heart clench. Why can't I wake up? She needs me!
----
White. There's no pain. Only whiteness. A bright light. It's as if I'm floating.

I try to open my eyes and find that I can. Only, I can see myself. The heart monitor beside me shows a flat line. It's a long, constant tone. I can see Elle, awake beside me. She was crying as she launched herself at me, holding my face in her hands.

Healers pulled her away from me. "NO! NO! DON'T MAKE ME LEAVE HIM!" She screamed the healer that was pulling her away from me. The sight of her made my chest ache with sadness. That's when it hit me. I'm dying.

Elle was full on sobbing at this point. "Ma'am! Ma'am! Calm down! The healers are going to do everything they can!" The tall man pulling her away exclaimed.

The man pulled her out into the corridor.

No. I can't die. Not now. Elle needs me too much. George needs me too much. My family needs me too much.

I walked over to myself. "No. You can't do this. Elle needs you. Everyone needs you. You can't die. You hear me? Pull yourself together. Now."

Healers were still hovering around me, doing different things.

White. The whiteness is getting brighter again. Is this a good thing? I hope so.
-----
Sammy came in and wanted to take Elle to lunch, but Elle said that she can't leave me. Why can't I just open my eyes?

Malfoy came in and visited Elle. Malfoy came in and visited Elle. He actually comforted her. He wanted to take her out to lunch too. Odd.

"Okay, Fred. Here's the deal. Remember how I hate dresses? Especially long ones? Yeah, well, I actually want to wear a dress. A long white one. Remember how I hate little kids? Yeah, well, I actually want to have a couple with you. I want to marry you, Fred. I want to be the mother of your children. I want to grow old with you, Fred. Whenever I picture myself getting married, I always imagine you being the guy I walk down the aisle to. I always imagine you playing with a little girl and a little boy. It's always you. In order for all this to happen, you need to wake up. You hear me? Wake up!"

My chest ached at the vulnerability in Elle's voice. I need to get back to her.
-----
Sammy came in and took Elle back to the flat to change and get some rest. Elle probably needs it. She's been with me nonstop, and it's not fair on her. She needs to relax, she needs to not worry. I need to wake up.
-----
How am I going to wake up? I'm tired. I've been fighting against this sleep for how long?Everything hurts now. Everything has a dull ache.

Sometimes I feel like I just want to give up.