SIXTEEN

Something isn't right. His eyes... the sparkle is gone. It's like....

"W-who are y-you all?" His voice was hoarse, obviously from not being used.

Like he didn't recognize us.
——
My jaw dropped. He doesn't recognize us. Not me, Molly... not even George. His twin. His other half.

Everyone looked at the healer. "May I speak to you all outside, please? Excuse us, Frederick," the healer said in a monotonous voice.

Everyone nodded and shuffled out, still in disbelief. I couldn't bare to look at Fred before I followed everyone out. I was close to tears already and looking at him would have made me break down.

I can't believe this is happening. We just got him back- but he doesn't remember any of us. What did he do to deserve this?

At least he's alive. He's alive. That's all that matters.

The healer looked at all of us with a sympathetic expression. "Due to his injuries, it was unlikely in the first place that he would come out unharmed, but you all know that. This, I'm afraid, is one of the expected outcomes. In time he could gain full or partial memory back," he paused for a second, "Do not stress him. Don't try to push him. Just be here for him. Tell him that you are simply his friends."

He looked at us all as we digested all of the information he just gave us.

"We do not yet know when he will be discharged. We need to keep an eye on him for at least a couple of days. He may have to be transferred to another ward for his memory loss."

More information to digest. Great.

I looked around, hands on my hips. I looked at George. "I'm... going to take a walk. I need to mentally prepare myself for this." I told him.

He nodded. "Mind if I come?"
——
In the end everyone agreed to take turns sitting with him and talking.

Molly and Arthur were the first ones to sit with him, sending everyone else to the cafeteria.

George and I simply walked around the hospital in silence.

I heard the faint beeping of machines and the moaning of some patients in pain.

He doesn't remember us. He really, truly doesn't.

What if it's simply a prank? What if he's messing with us? He is a prankster after all.

George kept sending glances in my direction. I could tell he wanted to say something.

After quite a few glances he said, "Do you think he'll remember us?"

I was silent for a moment. "I don't know."

I glanced at the clock. Bill and Fleur should be with Fred now. In another half an hour it's Charlie and Ginny's turn. After them it's Ron and Hermione's turn. Then it's our turn.

Harry and Dad have been hiding out. They've been locked in Dad's cottage since I got released. No one's seen them. Otherwise, I know they'd be here.

We were silent for awhile. Neither of us really wanted to talk.

Fred was back, but yet he wasn't.

"How long until it's our turn?" He finally asked.

Looking at another clock, I responded, "About an hour and five minutes."

He nodded. "I'm going to take Callie home and feed her real quick. I'll be back," he told me.

"Okay," I said as he turned around and left.

Sammy and Draco are watching over my flat, by the way. That's why they're not here. Well, why Sammy isn't here. Draco wouldn't feel comfortable enough to be here anyway.

I walked to the elevator. I pressed a random floor, just wanting to walk somewhere different.

Once the elevator doors opened to the floor I pressed, I walked out.

Looking around, I seen people laughing. People close to tears. So many people.

Shaking my head as if to physically shake myself out of this daze, I walked on.

I lost count of how many corners I turned, how many doors I seen. I was lost in thought. Thoughts of Fred.

Finally pulling myself from my thoughts, I looked at yet another clock.

I have half an hour until I need to be back at Fred's room.

My stomach growled. I turned back towards the elevator. I had might as well eat something, even though I don't feel like it. Fred would want me to eat.

I seen Ginny as soon as I walked into the cafeteria. She and Charlie probably just left Fred's room.

Seeing me, she waved me over.

I sat beside her.

"He still doesn't remember anything but his name."

My stomach sinked. I knew it. "Do... do you think he's still our Fred?"

Ginny paused before she answered. "I think so. I think some of our Fred is still in there."

A little bit of relief flooded through me.

There's still a chance. We fell in love once. Even if he doesn't gain all of his memory back, we can fall in love again.

My stomach growled. Ginny, laughing slightly, handed me an apple.

I took a bite of it.

Ginny and I sat in silence for a bit until George came in with Callie in his arms.

Ginny lit up when she seen Callie. She gracefully took Callie out of George's arms. "There's my favorite niece!"

None of us mentioned how she's Ginny's only niece. I don't think we had the energy to.

George sat across from me. This almost reminds me of Hogwarts: us sitting around a table in a cafeteria. Like I said, almost.

"Ten minutes until we have to be up in Fred's room."

I nodded as I finished my apple.

"Where are the others?" I asked him.

"They went home to get some sleep before they come back."

"Let's head up there then."

Ginny looked at George. "I'll take Callie to your flat and put her to bed." She looked at me. "I'll send Sammy and Draco home. I'll watch the flat and Callie until you come home."

I nodded. "Thanks, Gin," George and I said at the same time.
——
George and I looked at each other as we stood in front of Fred's closed door.

George nodded and I opened the door. He's asleep.

Walking over to him, I brushed a piece of hair out of his face. I laid a gentle hand on his cheek.

His ocean blue eyes opened. Oh, how they still take my breath away.