Chapter Three

Regina Swan-Mills

"Hey kids! We're home!" Emma calls out with a little extra energy this morning as she swings open our front door.

"Moms!" Ellie and Kyler squeal as they run full force into our arms.

"Good morning girls," Ruby slyly winks sauntering her way toward us.

"Thanks again Rubes, it really means a lot," Emma beams at our friend before resting Ellie upon her hip.

"Don't mention it! They were wonderful."

"Maybe one day we will be able to repay the favor," I insinuate, winking at our friend.

Ruby rolls her eyes dramatically, "Slow down, I enjoy all these kiddies, but the best part is at the end of the day I get to give them back." She laughs to herself before she hugs Emma and I goodbye.

"Thank you Aunt Ruby," Ellie and Kyler say in unison as they wave goodbye.

"Where's Henry?" I ask while placing a delicate kiss to Kyler's temple.

"He's in his room, mama," Ellie replies while I place Kyler down on his feet.

"You kids go play, mommy and I are going to unpack and change."

Emma and I climb the stairs together, but we part ways in the hallway. She heads for our bedroom to unpack our small duffle while I stop in front of Henry's bedroom. Emma offers me a weak smile before she disappears inside our room. I knock lightly on Henry's door before opening it and wait for his reply.

"Yeah?" He calls out, granting me permission to push the door open wider.

"Hey, how was last night with Aunt Ruby?"

"Fine," he shrugs noncommittally as he continues reading his comics. I stroll further into his room and sit at the edge of his bed while he stays rooted on his chair in front of his desk.

"Henry, I don't like how things are going between us right now. I love you very much and I don't want us to grow apart," I finally confess, not being able to keep my feelings at bay any longer.

I watch my son's lips twist as he ponders about what I just said. He sighs heavily and tosses his comic book onto his desk. His long clumsy fingers anxiously scratch the back of his neck while his mind tries to muster up something to say in return.

"I know mom, I'm sorry," he glances up at me through his thick eyelashes and his dark green eyes meet mine, "really, I mean it. I'm sorry."

"How about you and I go for some Rocky Road? Our place," I smile with excitement with too many old memories flashing through my mind.

"I'm grounded."

"I know but you are going out with your mother, that's different."

"Will ma be okay with it?"

"Of course she will, now lets go," I urge as I enthusiastically pop up from his bed. "Remind me to wash your sheets tonight," I mock over my shoulder causing Henry to groan loudly.

"Mooooooom!" I smile proudly knowing I embarrassed him and we make our way down the stairs.

~~~~~~~~