Chapter Fourteen

Saturday 10:15 p.m.

"Phew!" I breathe out when I read the clock on my dashboard. I have plenty of time to make it back home before Henry's party and hopefully Regina won't be too angry with me.

I start my engine and take one last glance at the run down home before me. Mr. Warren is practically foaming at the mouth through the window as he glares back at me. I roll my eyes before facing forward and driving away. Did he honestly think this wouldn't have caught up to him?

The sky begins to darken as a mess of thick grey clouds roll in. I duck my head down so I can catch a better glimpse of the sky through my windshield. There is nothing but dark storm clouds above and I can't help but be thankful for only being twenty five minutes away from home.

"Shit," I utter to myself as fat raindrops splash against my windshield.

There are only a few drops that make it down before a downpour occurs, effectively eliminating my view of the road ahead. I fumble to switch my wipers on high and watch them skid across the glass with speed.

I lean forward in my seat and grip the steering wheel tighter as nerves consume my body. I can hardly see anything, but the vicious storm crashing down upon me along with my rapid blades skidding across the glass.

"I'll turn left here and pull over for a few minutes, hopefully the rain will lighten up a bit," I say to myself to keep my mind from panicking.

My fingers flick on my left turn signal while I proceed to the center of the intersection. I try to concentrate, squinting as I stare beyond the constant waterfall streaming down my window.

The glass begins to fog up at the bottom, prompting my hand to automatically turn up the heat, but then I decide on using my sleeve to speed up the process. I wipe the glass free from the thick fog and squint once more. Everything around me seems to be quiet except for the raindrops echoing against the roof. So, I decide now would be a perfect chance to go.

I slowly release the brake and step on the gas. Just as I begin turning the wheel a flash of bright lights blind me from the road. I start to shield my eyes from the intruding light, but then I hear a screeching noise of crunching metal and there isn't enough time for me to react.

The next thing I am conscious of, is that I am flipping inside my tiny bug and I can't think of much else. My mind draws blank. I know the car is turning upside down so on reflex, my arms reach up to the roof to brace myself. A sharp electrical pain shoots through my left arm all the way up to my shoulder, but I don't have anytime to think about the pain, before I feel the unbearable pressure of my arm slamming into the car door with an almighty force.

I can hear more disturbing noises that I can't truly make out, but I think it sounds like bones snapping. I have far too much adrenaline pumping through my blood to notice that those awful noises are probably my own bones breaking.

My arm is suddenly releasing from the door and I know I'm upside down again. I try to lift my arms to the roof once more to protect myself from any blows, but my left arm won't budge. My head slams against the window beside me and I faintly hear the sounds of shattering glass before everything around me falls dark.

10:30 p.m.

"Where is she?" I stutter out as I run into the lobby, dripping wet.

Neal is waiting just at the end of the hall for me. He motions for me to follow him, encouraging my feet to tumble faster through the hall. He wraps his arm around my shoulders protectively and tucks me into his side for moral support. I could not be more thankful for him right now. We share a son so he understands the heartache we would endure if Emma didn't....I can't finish that thought.