Chapter Six

"Happy Birthday to you..."

Beep. Beep. Beep. Beep.

"Happy Birthday to you..."

Beep. Beep. Beep. Beep.

"Happy Birthday dear Henry..."

Beep. Beep. Beep. Beep.

"Mom!"

"Mom!"

My body jerks back to life as fast as my mind snapping back to reality. "I'm sorry Henry, I must have dozed off for a moment." I quickly dab my fingers lightly around my eyes to wipe away any smudged and crusted makeup from the dreadful hours I have left behind.

"It's alright," he whispers as he places his hand gently upon my shoulder, his long fingers curling around my tense shoulder. I tilt my head so my cheek rests against the back of his hand. His ice cold fingers are a welcoming sensation against my hot and sticky flesh.

He's the closest thing I have to her right now.

A small sniffle cracks through the silence when I pull away, but I grit my teeth and fight against all my natural instincts because I truthfully cannot stand to allow one more tear to fall.

Beep. Beep. Beep. Beep.

The obnoxious sound from the machine above blares into the deafening silence, yet it's my only sanity. My saving grace. The one absurd beep followed by another is what helps settle my nerves. It's what gives me hope. This stupid machine is my life line as well as hers and I crave for each repetitious beep.

"I think it's time to go home," Henry squeezes my shoulder, sighing heavily.

How is he so calm?

"Henry-"

"Mom, you need to take us home. You need to take Ellie and Kyler home. They need you right now," his voice shakes and I know he is biting back his tears.

Fear is evident in his tone and for once in my life, there's not a damn thing I can do to take his pain away and it kills me. My heart actually seizes in my chest and I swear someone is squeezing the life out of my broken organ.

I inhale sharply as I slowly stand from my chair, my legs shaking their protest while my aching muscles scream from their stiffness. I squeeze my hands together one last time before I slowly pull them away from the cold embrace. I press a small kiss to Henry's cheek before tucking him into my side and exit the room.

I have to squint from the blinding white lights as we enter the busy hallway. The air is so much colder out here, sending chills to prick down my spine. My muscles begin to twitch and shake violently and I'm not sure if it's caused by the cold temperature or the trauma. Either way, I cannot will my body to stop the involuntary spasms.

My son wraps his long arms around my waist, firmly pressing his body against mine to help soothe the trembling, but this is something his touch cannot fix.

"Momma," Kyler cries out once he sees us walking toward our family. Henry releases me from his embrace, knowing his siblings need a hug as well.