Chapter Thirteen

Saturday: 9:00 p.m.

"Mrs. Swan-Mills, excuse me for interrupting," a new officer, once again, clears his throat in the most distracting way.

His fingers are painfully interlocked with one another, nervously shifting from one foot to another as he attempts to appear confident in front of me. My eyes crawl down toward his gold plate name tag, taking in his name and locking it away in my mind for the near future.

I wipe away the tears below my eyes and stand on my shaky feet to approach him. "Officer Marks, I am really tired of having a new police officer approach me every time there's news about my wife's accident. To be honest, this is a delicate situation and there should only be one, maybe two of you that I should be speaking with. I think it's rude to send someone new each time."

I'm running low on steam that usually contains my patience and frankly, I don't care anymore if I come off rude. This is about my wife, who is dying...and these officers come and go showing no remorse when they send someone new to speak with me every time.

"I understand ma'am. I will make sure that either myself or my partner only speak with you on the subject from here on out," his stern voice vows, but I can still see the apprehension flitting across his hazel eyes.

"Thank you, now go on," I encourage, crossing my arms protectively against my chest, preparing myself for some more unwelcoming news.

Officer Marks clears his throat again, obviously a nervous tick of his, before he begins. "We found a truck about two miles north from your wife's accident. The pick up truck was severely damaged in the front with visible yellow markings. We believe that was indeed the truck that hit your wife."

"So did you find the person? Are they alive?" I rush out, anxious about what is to come. My thumb somehow finds its way to my mouth, my teeth nibbling on the nail as I dangle on the edge of my seat for this information.

Great, I inherited Emma's nervous habit.

"Well, the truck was abandoned, like we said, two miles north from the accident. The vehicle was hidden in the woods, but there was not a soul around when we checked the area," Officer Marks continues gently.

His eyes lock onto mine, my stomach doing somersaults as I mull over the thought of never actually finding the person who hit my wife. I may never find this person who caused pain to my Emma. I may never have closure.

"The truck was registered to a Mrs..." he pauses and pulls out a small pad of paper. He flips open the black leather pad and it takes every ounce of energy I have left not to rip that notebook from his clutches so I can read the damn thing for myself. "Mrs. Margot O'Neill..." I furrow my eyebrows at the name, not being able to make a connection at all. Hazel eyes flick back up toward mine in questioning. "Do you know anyone by that name?"

"Uh, no. No I do not," I stutter, my mind still shifting through every file I have shoved away in my brain of every person I have ever met.

Maybe this was just a simple accident and the person panicked and fled the scene. Maybe this wasn't a malicious act.

"Okay, well we have someone on their way to the address listed, hopefully we can find this person," he offers a genuine smile, but I am still numb all over.

I try my best to reciprocate the gesture, but by the look in his eyes, I fall short. I sigh heavily and continue Emma's annoying habit as I worry my thumb nail.

"I will make sure that I will be the one who remains in contact with you."

"Thank you," I whisper, feeling a tad better about that situation.