Chapter Twelve

Saturday 8:00 p.m.

"Do these kids not trust you? We've been knocking for ten minutes. I can clearly see them through the window," I exasperate, my hand gesturing wildly toward the window.

"Emma, this couple has brainwashed these kids. You don't understand how petrified they are to even speak, let alone answer a door," the social worker, Katherine explains. "I've been trying to get someone out here from your department for weeks."

"How did this couple go unnoticed? How were they even approved to become foster parents if they are so messed up?" I interrogate.

I hate when this happens, this right here, is the main reason why I went into this field. Situations like this, where people abuse the system and neglect harmless innocent children.

"I don't know Emma. This couple were the ideal foster parents. They have two children of their own, never been in any trouble with the law. All their home inspections were passed with flying colors."

"Then how did they end up with four foster children that they abuse and neglect?" I question, raising my voice to a stern cold demand.

"Like I said, I have no clue," Katherine sighs heavily as she steps back from the door and I can see the shame washing over her worn out face.

I take a deep breath and knock again on the door before me. No answer yet again. I can clearly see all six children sitting on the floor in front of the couch, trying not to make a sound.

I walk toward the window and knock aggressively against the glass. All six children yelp out in fear and as their terrified little eyes dart in my direction. I smile kindly and wave, hoping to gain some trust through the thick glass.

"I'm Emma," I introduce myself cheerfully. "I promise I'm here to help you. I'm with Miss Katherine, your social worker." They all stare at me, expressionless. "Are your parents home? We need to speak with them."

The oldest two exchange fearful glances at one another, but no one moves a muscle. "I promise you, I want to help. If you open the door for me, we can have a normal conversation, without me shouting through glass." I giggle trying to help ease their fear. "I'm sure you guys are starving, I know I am."

I glance over my shoulder at Katherine in which she offers me a positive thumbs up. "I'm sure it's been days since they've eaten," she whispers.

"I promise, I will protect you guys with my life. I will never let you down. I will make sure all of you are properly taken care of."

The youngest children peer up at the two oldest for direction and I think I'm making progress, until they all turn their heads away from the window.

I knock again, "McDonald's?"

The youngest of the group stands up in a rush and runs to the front door. I quickly walk back to the porch and smile brightly when the four year old boy opens the door for me.

"Hi," I breathe out in relief.

"Why did you do that?" The oldest kid bellows as he attempts to slam the door in my face.