Chapter Four

Emma Swan-Mills

It was just around nine o'clock at night when I arrived home. I knew the two little ones were already sound asleep, so I had to be extra quiet. I lightly tapped on Henry's door and peeked my head inside to find my son working on some homework at his desk.

"Hey," I softly greet him and make my way toward his bed to sit down.

"Hey ma. Working late again?"

"Yeah, I just don't want to let any kids down, you know?"

"I get it," he agrees, tapping his pencil against his notebook, but never meeting my eyes.

"How was dinner with grandma and grandpa?"

"Fine," he shrugs, but I know something is bothering him, "mom and grandma still bicker all the time."

"I know kid. They both are trying."

"You would think after seven years, they'd be fine?" He finally takes a chance and peeks over at me, making eye contact. He's doing that thing again, where he states the obvious hoping someone will answer his question, without having to ask it. There's no way I'm about to tell him the truth behind Regina and Cora.

"Yeah," I shrug following his suit, "you would think."

"Oh! We ran into Robin and Roland. Roland said we should hang out sometime and I think I might," he smiles brightly, but still my heart sinks and I feel like someone knocked the wind out of me.

Robin?

"Oh, uh, really? That's random..." I stutter while trying to remain calm, but I know I'm failing miserably.

"Yeah, we haven't seen them since they moved away when we were like five."

"Yeah...how about that?"

"You okay ma?" Henry inquires shyly as his expression shifts from excited to concern.

"Of course kid," I quickly stand tall and kiss away his fears, "don't stay up too late. Goodnight, I love you."

"Love you too mom," he beams before I walk out the door, closing it behind me.

I lean my head back against the wooden door as I grip the doorknob tight.

Robin...really?

I quietly sneak into our bedroom to find my wife sitting up in bed, with one of my T-shirts on and her glasses perched at the tip of her nose, grading papers. I take an extra moment to just stare at my gorgeous wife. She is my everything and we've been through so much together. I don't know what I would do if I ever lost her.

Soon those big brown eyes peer over her black framed glasses when she notices my staring.

"Hey," she smirks and sets her glasses down in front of her.

"Hey," I rush over to her side of the bed and gently kiss her lips.

"How was work?"

I slowly pull away from her lips and shuffle across our room toward our dresser so I can change.

"It was busy. I think I'm all caught up though."