Chapter One

Just to keep the confusion to a minimum; the first half of this book is going to be solely in Aaliyah's perspective and the second half will be Austin's perspective. The time frames do not correlate with BTTOI: it will not pick up where BTTOI left off. Jerome's fate will be revealed midway through the book. There will be flashbacks throughout the story. Some cast members from the Trust Issues series will have appearances as well.

Aaliyah POV:

Tragedies are common place, all kinds of diseases, people are slipping away

Tragedies are common place, all kinds of diseases, people are slipping away. Economies down, people can't get enough pay. As for me, all I can say is, Thank you, Lord, for all you done for me.

Folks without homes, living out in the streets.
And the drug habit some say, they just can't beat. Muggers and robbers, no place seems to be safe. But you been my protection every step of the way. I wanna say, thank you, Lord, for all you done for m-

My music was interrupted and my humming ceased when a call came through. My frown instantly turned into a smile once I noticed who was calling me. I quickly answered the call by pressing the button that was on my steering wheel. "Hi babe." I grinned.

"Wassup beautiful, how was your day?" Matt asked. His deep voice flowing through my car was better than the music playing earlier. The sound of his voice was like heaven to me. It was deep and raspy. He sounded like he had just woken up, all the time.

Matthew and I began dating about two years ago, after a three year long friendship. I was adamant about simply remaining friends with him but he broke me down and I fell in love. We were taking things slow and I was enjoying every bit of it. Our three year anniversary was a month away and I was truly happy with him.

He was a good man; he was patient with me, treated me well, hard working, honest, loyal, respectful to me, trustworthy, consistent, he has a great personality my family loves him, and overall we had great chemistry together. Not to mention he loves God just as much as I do and he's not afraid to show it.

I was skeptical about introducing him to the family but their initial meeting went really well. Unfortunately he was harassed by my gang of brothers and both of my Dad's, but he really handled himself well, so they approved of him and our relationship. I honestly can't wait to marry him and have his little chocolate babies.

"Long, I'm glad that it's over." I sighed. These twelve hour shifts that I'd been pulling at the hospital were starting to take a toll on me. At twenty six years old, I felt like an ass old lady already. Luckily, I only work four days a week so it balances out.

After graduating from college with a nursing degree, I followed in my NaeNae's footsteps and became a registered nurse. After PawPaw died, it peaked my interest and I've been in love with it since. I currently hold a masters of science degree in nursing. Although I'm an emergency room nurse, I tend to float around the hospital and help out wherever and whenever I'm needed.