Chapter Twenty Three (Part I)

AALIYAH POV:

I nodded my head along to the beat of the music as I looked around the parking lot that was filled with people. To say that Uncle Tray's event was a success would definitely be an understatement. People were everywhere and they seemed to be having a good time. There were all types of people of different ethnicities, backgrounds and ages from all over town.

"You light my fire. I feel alive with you, baby. You blow my mind. I'm satisfied. Outstanding.
Girl, you knock me out. Excited. It makes me want to shout." I sang as I danced in my seat while snapping my fingers.

Jr had the DJ booth bumping and everybody was enjoying the music. He played a perfect mix of old school and today's new music that everybody liked. I'd been dancing and singing along to the music since the event started.

"Pssst! Pssst!" I heard Matthew hissing loudly to me. I laughed as I turned my attention to him. "Aye, watch my booth real quick, I'm 'bout to go get me a snow cone." He stated.

"Matthew, that's supposed to be for the kids!" I reminded him, shaking my head.

"So." He shrugged. "Watch my booth and don't let none of them little bad ass kids come take my shit." He said referring to the candy he had in a bowl on his table. I rolled my eyes as I watched him sneak away from his booth and head to the direction of the concession stand.

"Aye, bring me back some cotton candy and a pickle." I called to him. He looked at me over his shoulder before flipping me off, making me laugh.

As a family passed by my table, I got their attention and began telling them about the free health screening. Once I got their information and they signed up, I gave them a voucher. It just so happened that Uncle Tray and a news reporter were walking by. I fixed my hair and adjusted my clothing so I wouldn't be caught looking crazy on TV.

"Well it was a pleasure speaking with you Mr. Wilson. We appreciate everything you're doing for the city and we wish much success for you. If you're on the East side of town, make sure you stop by and visit. The information is listed on the screen below. This is Helena Johnson with News 38-

BANG

BANG

BANG

BANG

BANG

BANG

BANG

At the sound of gunshots, people began to scatter like roaches. I felt myself being pushed to the ground before a heavy body landed on top of mine. The smell of Matthew's cologne invaded my nostrils. "You good baby girl?" He asked me as a cold and wet substance leaked through my clothing. I was thankful it was only the snow cone and not his blood or mine.

"Y-yeah I'm okay." I responded as I tried to catch my breath. I couldn't lie and say that I wasn't shaken up. "You okay babe, are you hurt?" I asked him.

"I'm straight." He responded. As soon as the gun shots stopped, he pulled me up from the ground and pushed me in the direction of the building. I quickly went inside, helping to usher other people inside to safety.

I watched from the window as Uncle Tray was yelling at somebody on the phone while Mama stood there; one hand on her hip and the other gripping the gun in her hand. One thing about it, that lady was gonna ride out for those she loved without hesitation.