Chapter 22: Sleep peacefully

"Are you sure it's good to sleep now?"

Oh yeah, she was still awake. But only half awake. Half asleep. But that would be no problem. I can get her fully awake withing few seconds.

"hmm...Tomoe..."

Tomoe? Was she sleep talking? 'I knew she had centrain feeling for him, but to dream about him and say his name while asleep...Wait! Why should i care?! It's not like i am jealous of him! Impossible!' But why was it that my chest felt like someone just pierced it with a sharp blade? I was hopeless. It was impossible for the great me to fall for a human...right? While thinking those things i didn't even notice that my body was moving on it's own, closing the distance between me and the little Land god. Soon, our faces were so close i could feel her breath. It was comforting and somehow it calm me down. I noticed she opened her eyes, looking right into mine and move her lips slowly.

"...Akura?"

'What is this? I came here to have some fun breaking her, but why can't i do it?' I reached for my blade, preparing to take away the life of this little human. Just a little more. A little longer, and there will be no Nanami anymore. No Land god... Suddenly, someone grabbed my hand roughly.

...

I went outside to sit on a porch, since there was no sleepiness feeling inside of me. Of course! I, the great fox demon Tomoe, don't need to sleep as often as humans. They are pathetic. If they don't sleep enough, they will collapse because of too less energy. There is only one use for humans, and that is to make demons like me less bored. 'Huh? Someone's already here?' There was a shadow on the ground as i wanked up to the place where the person was suppose to be located. 'I know that smell! It's Akura-ou and...Nanami?' In that instant moment i burst out without thinking. I knew how much my brother was dangerous. Especially for a human women. He treated them even worse than i did...

"Don't you touch her!"

I yelled angrily, grabbing onto my brother's hand. Looking down at Nanami i panicked when noticing she is not waking up, thought i knew she was breathing. But all my worries flew away as i saw the bottles of sake nearby.

"Hey, you!"

I turned back to my brother, withou knowing what to do or to say. I was acting strangely, not as the normal me would act. 'Guess it's because i am all stressed out.' Without another word, i lifted up Nanami's body and carring her back to her room while i kept an eye on the immortal demon who sure was in a bad mood, sulking while leaving the shrine's garden. 'Idiot...' I sighed.

...

There was something tickling my face. I chuckled happily. But afterwards there was no more tickling so i opened my eyes curiously. 'Huh? What happend? Wasn't i with Akura-ou?' I looked around, seeing i am back in my room again. Instead of Akura-ou i found Tomoe sitting in the corner of the room. Smoking his pipe it looked like the fox demon was getting himself comfortable, as if he would of not leave any time soon. 'What is Tomoe doing here?' Was the first think that got into my mind after seeing his beautiful face. Maybe it was because of the alcohol floathing in my body, but today Tomoe looked more handsome than ever. Only now i recognize that this Tomoe's hair was long. 'A past Tomoe?' It surprised even more me. Why would he even bother to be in my room, looking after me? Thought i was kinda dizzy from the sake, i still wanted to talk to him. So i started the conversation.

"Hey, Tomoe..."

I smiled shyly, after seeing him turn his face to me. It felt like he was studying me, for some reason. After few moments he just tuned his look away from me, concentration on smoking the pipe. 'Is he trying to ignore me, or irritate me?' The fact he didn't say anything pretty much got on my nerves.

"What are you doing in my room?"

I said it purposedly with an annoyed tome in my voice to let him know i would rather prefer him leaving immediatly, but no answer again. He didn't move an inch. 'What a jerk he can be...' Sighing heavily i layed down on my futon, turning away from him and trying to sleep. 'Today, it's pretty cold here.' My whole body was shaking from low temperature in the shrine. All i could do was curl up and hope i will fall asleep soon and it will get warmer. Suddently, something silky slid down my sides and it was wrapped around me by a pair of two gentle hands.

...

Tomoe was laying on the same futon as our Land god, hugging her trembling body from behind. He wrapped his kimono around her, hoping in will warm her up. 'Really, pathetic humans.' He thought. He really hated all humans, because they were so weak. They could die from so many things that would never be able to kill a strong Yokai like him. Even bad weather could cause them a lot of trouble for their bodyes. But for some reason, he felt like he shall protect Nanami, who he saw as really weak being, so that she will survive everything that would kill other humans. He didn't want her to die yet, so he had to take care of her. Now a bright idea entered his mind. Swifting his hand in the air, there suddently apeared blue fox flames. This was the first time he would use his flames to something other than killing humans, so he was trying to be extra careful as to not burn down the shrine. Seeing that, Nanami smiled to herself. 'Maybe he is not that bad at all. And not much different from my Tomoe. Both of them sure can be mean, but they both still care, i can tell.'

"I'll keep you close and warm you up, so sleep peacefully..."

A sweet whisper could be heart. Tomoe tightened his grip of Nanami, but only a bit. His hot breath was warmign Nanami's neck. So calming. So naturel.

"Good night..."

Another whisper. But The girl was already sleeping, not able to hear her future familiar's sweet words.