Chapter 75

After Joe leaves I become bored. After a while I just sit and watch the people around me as they chat. They all seem so seperate as they talk. Not paying attention to anyone around them.

Ashton and Calum are having a lively discussion with a few of the guests. I watch as Ashton tips his head back and lets out a roar of laughter and Calum smiles proudly. He must have told a joke or something.

Luke is speaking with a middle aged woman. I think she is his mum. He smiles at her as she she speaks to him, occassionally nodding his head in agreement. The look in his eyes is one I could only describe as adoration. He truly cares for his mother and anyone could see that.

On the complete opposite side of the room is Michael. His girlfriend has her arm around his waist but he pays her no attention. He keeps looking around the room as though he is looking for something. A frown set deep in his expression. He doesn't look happy in the slightest. The girl is talking to another guy as they stand together.

He says something to her before removing her hand from him and stepping away. I don't have a chance to see where he goes before my line of vision is blocked.

"Having fun?" Ashton asks, sitting down next to me.

I nod, just to be polite.

He smiles and takes a sip of his drink. "Where's your boyfriend gone?"

I instinctively look around before returning my gaze to Ashton. "Home. He has a big meeting tomorrow."

"That sucks. I haven't really had a chance to talk to him before."

"He's not the social type."

Lie. Joe is very social. Just not around these people. It annoys me sometimes. Why can't he just accept my friends? Sure they may be younger than him but so am I.

"Each to their own I guess." Ashton says with a smile, glancing over my shoulder. "I have to head off. Are you going to be okay?"

I smile and nod, "Nice talking to you Ash."

He grins, "You too. Have fun!"

Only moments after Ashton leaves, Michael takes his seat.

"Hi." I say quietly.

"Can we talk?" he asks rather loudly.

I wince but nod, "Talk."

He chuckles, "I meant somewhere else. It's really loud in here."

I frown and glance around. That may not be the best idea.

Yet, against my better judgement I oblige.

"I suppose so. Where to?"

He smiles slightly and gets up, indicating for me to follow him.

I do so and he leads me out of the room and down a hallway before peeking in a door.

"Okay. Come in." he murmurs, holding the door open for me.

"Michael, shouldn't you be out there with your girlfriend?" I ask as he sits down and runs his hand through his hair.

"It's nothing." Michael murmurs, standing up and moving to look out the window. "I barely even know the girl."

I frown, "What do you mean? You two ar-"

"She only comes to official events Riley. Places where there are cameras. Don't you get it?" 

I don't get it. Not in the slightest. They are dating. It's all over the internet. They've confirmed it.

"It's for the publicity!" he says, raising his voice slightly. "Our management seem to have it in their heads that if I date this famous actress then it would be good for the band. She is an actress, a professional liar, Riley. It may be easy for her but I don't think I can take much more."

"But they can't-"

"They can and they are." His face contorts as he stands before me. "It's fucking ridiculous and I can't do it anymore."

"You shouldn't have to Mikey. They can't force you to date someone. You have the right to choose who you want to date."

To my surprise a laugh escapes his lips as he looks to me, he almost looks as though he is going to cry.

"I can't be with the person I want anyway."

I frown, "Michael, are you kidding? You could be with anyone. You are an amazing guy and any girl would be stupid to not want to be with you."

He laughs again, a twisted, almost menacing laugh. "You are so naiive Riley. It's unreal."

"I am not naiive" I defend myself. How could he think I am naiive?

"Riley, why can't you see? I can't be with the person I want to be with because that person is you!"

"Michael, we've talked about this. I have J-"

"Joe, I know. You'll never love me the way that you love him. That's the harsh reality. And, I'll admit, it hurts. It hurts so fucking bad but there is nothing I can do anymore. I was too late and I never even stood a chance."

"Mikey, stop. Please."

"I can't stop Riley! I couldn't stop myself from falling for you and now I can't stop these feelings from taking over. We will never be together and I keep reminding myself of that but I can't help but hold onto hope. I'm sorry that I'm not perfect but I will always be waiting here on the sideline in case things fall apart."

"Don't."

"Don't what? Don't speak the truth? I am already told that enough by management and I really don't need you to join them."

A knock sounds on the door.

"Michael? Are you in there?" a voice calls out.

He screws up his face again. "That's her. She probably wants the photographer to get some photos of us together."

"You don't have t-" I begin.

"Riley, stop." he mutters, crossing the small room and pulling the door open. He steps out and shuts it behind him, leaving me alone. Alone again.

A/N

So, there goes the double update guys :)

Once again, I am very sorry for how long it took me to update but I am back now!

I've missed writing but as I said, my study had to come first.

Until next time, don't forget to comment, vote and follow my account.

Also go follow the official The City twitter @TheCityFic . Both Will and I post on there from time to time and it would be the best place to ask questions if you have any :)

Love you all!! xx