three

"sunflowers"

"sunflowers"

"Where have you been all night, Miss Missy?" Keisha inquired as I set my purse down on the coffee table and plopped myself down on the living room couch.

By now, the sun was blaring outside, pouring into our apartment like water into a tank. The time was— I don't know— almost noon. All I know is that I had been up for over twenty four hours, and I needed to shower and head to bed soon. Juwan had me up all night, and although I valued my rest more than anything else, I didn't mind it at all. Turns out, he's not as annoying as I initially perceived him to be.

The first three times he asked me on a date, I was vexed by his presence. First of all, he'd be at my door at 10:00 in the morning every single Saturday. I'd reluctantly engage in small talk— how life was before I moved here to New York, what the weather had been for the past week and how it was predicted to be during the upcoming week, if I had any plans for the weekend— all that minuscule and unimportant information. However, that fourth time he asked, I started to realize that he really was trying. I could tell how determined he was just by the look in his eyes.

Besides, Keisha urged me to at least give him a try. She said that although she didn't know Red well enough to flat out call him a friend, he was always respectful, fun-loving, and rarely put up with any bullshit. Just by being his neighbor for the year and a half that she has, she's realized that his friends— Juwan and apparently, another guy named Money— were just as respectable and sweet as he was. Besides all that, she was sick of hearing somebody beating on our door every Saturday morning and figured that it would only cease once I agreed to go on a date.

So, the fifth time was the evident charm.

"With Juwan," I answered as my face rested against one of the couch pillows.
"Juwan? You talkin' 'bout Rocky's tall ass?" her face scrunched up at the sound of the unfamiliar name.
"Yeah, Rocky," I remembered that his government name wasn't common knowledge.

"So, you were with him all night, huh?" her tone became one that told me that I'd soon be getting teased.
I rolled my eyes.

"We didn't sleep together, if that's what you think," I clarified.
"What did y'all do then?" she asked.
"None of your business," I smiled sweetly while she rolled her eyes.

"I didn't even know that you actually agreed to go out with him. How was it— the date?" she asked.
"It was good. . . It was great, actually. We talked all night," I couldn't help but smile at the thought.
"Y'all talked all night? I bet you two talked real hard," she thrusted her hips forward in her seat before laughing.

"Okay, see— what we're not gonna do is that shit right there," I shook my head while restraining a laugh. She giggled for only a little longer before turning toward me once again.