twenty nine

"oh baby"

"oh baby"

"Rock, that's not funny, man," Red shook his head before drinking from his beer bottle.
"I'm not joking," I said.
"So, you mean to tell me that you and Violet—"
"Yeah," I murmured, looking down at my twiddling fingers.
"Oh, this is bad, man," Marcus shook his head.

I knew it was fucked up, but to hear it from Marcus, of all people, really made my guilt heavier.

"So, what are you gonna' do?" Red inquired.
I shrugged.

"You should tell her," Marcus advised.
"Really?" I glanced up at him.
"No! Are you crazy, man? Quinn is gonna' kill your ass," Red disagreed.

"I don't know how long I can keep this from her," I admitted.
"It wouldn't be as hard, if you just cut Violet off like we've been tellin' you to do for the past three months," Red reminded me.
"I-I can't, man. She needs me," I shook my head.

"She needs you or she made you believe that she needs you?" Red asked.
"She don't need shit from you, Rocky. She's just coming in and fucking up everything just like she used to. It's what she does," Marcus shook his head.

"Y'all don't know her like that. A'ight? She's wrestling a lot of demons," I defended her.
"And what the fuck does that have to do with you?" Marcus asked.
"Nothing!" Red answered for me.

"Look, Rock. We get it. A'ight? That's your first love, but Quinn is real love, man. You wanna' fuck that up just because you fucked Violet one time?" Red questioned me.
"It wasn't just one time," I mumbled.
"Twice?" he asked.
I shook my head.
"Thrice?" Marcus inquired.

Red and I both looked at him with furrowed eyebrows. "Yes, thrice is a thing, my nigga," he scoffed.

"More than thrice," I didn't want to admit it.
"Goddamn it, Rock. Fuck, man," both of my friends shook their heads.
"I know. I know. It's bad. I just— I don't know what it is about Violet. . . Every time I'm around her, we start talkin' and one thing leads to another and. . . ta-dow," I shrugged.

Red began rubbing his temples. "I cannot fucking believe— so when are you telling Quinn?"

"I don't know. No time seems like the right time," I replied.
"Well, look, before you tell her, you need to figure some shit out. Alright?" Marcus advised.
"Yeah, you need to figure out if you're in love with Violet— because you know Quinn is gonna' ask," Red nodded.

"And, if you still want to be with Quinn, you need to cut all ties with Violet. A'ight? You can't tell Quinn some shit like this and not have already moved toward bettering yourself," Marcus added.