sixty six

"sunflower seeds"

"sunflower seeds"

"Thanks again for all your help, Romeo," I sighed deeply after setting a box on top of the one he had just put on the floor, by the door.
"It's nothing," he shrugged.

"I can make you a glass of sweet tea, if you'd like," I smiled slightly.
"Oh, you don't have to," he dismissed.
"I insist," I smiled a little wider.

"Well. . . if you insist," he kissed his teeth while fighting back a smile.
I motioned him to follow me into the kitchen, and he didn't hesitate to follow my lead. I couldn't help but hear him laugh softly from behind me.

"What's so funny?" I inquired, going toward the fridge to grab the tea I'd made only a few hours ago.
"It's just. . . You've never been this nice to me," he shook his head. "It's kinda' weird."

"You know I can be nice," I pointed out while grabbing a cup from the cupboard.
"Yeah. You're nice to Val, but you've never brought that energy to me," he observed all while I poured tea into the cup.

"Well, I won't be in New York for much longer, and knowing that has got me in a different headspace," I explained.
He only nodded before I circled the island with his glass. I stood before him as he sat on one of the stools at the island. I presented the drink to him, watching him take the glass and look me up and down.

"Did you really miss me, when you were away?" he inquired.
"I hate to admit it, but. . . I did," I nodded.
"Why do you hate to admit it?" he asked before taking a sip of the refreshing tea.

"It negates everything I've shown you thus far," I replied.
"What's so bad about that?" he questioned only to begin drinking once more.

"I'm not supposed to feel any kind of way about you, Romeo," I shook my head.
He placed the glass down on the counter top and stared into my eyes for a moment. "Says who?"

I scoffed. "Says me."
"You know that's not what your heart wants, Quinn."
"This isn't about what the heart wants, Rome. . . Sometimes what the heart wants isn't what you actually need."

"Well, what do you need?" he inquired.
"Something New York just can't give me anymore," I shook my head.

He took another sip from the glass I gave him before setting the cup down once more and staring into my eyes. "So you got a little beat up and kicked down. Everyone does here. . . but is that really why you're leaving?"

I shrugged, not knowing how to respond. "I don't have all the answers, Romeo. . . but making this move just feels right."

"Well, you gotta' do what feels right, I guess," he sighed.
"You sound like you don't want me to leave— like you're gonna' miss me," I smirked almost teasingly.

"I ain't gon' front. I am gonna' miss you, Quinn. . . I've been missing you for a while now," he stated. "I know I said I needed some space to think about if I still wanted to pursue you, knowing that you didn't want the same thing that I wanted. . . but not having you around has left me feeling a lil'. . . incomplete."