thirty four

"new routine"

"new routine"

I was anxious to say the least. My palms were sweating, and butterflies were becoming so jumbled up in my stomach that I started feeling sick. So many thoughts were crowding my mind that I almost didn't know what to do. My grip on my bags tightened for fear that they'd slip from my hold due to my moist hands.

This escalator seemed to be taking forever, and I didn't see my name on any of the big white pieces of paper that random chauffeurs were holding for whoever they'd be driving around nor did I see who was supposed to be picking me up from the airport.

Just as I began to worry, I saw a big yellow board go in the air, and on it was my name in pretty, bright red letters. The tail of the Q curved and looped right into the U. The I was dotted with an "x" and the second N had a tail that looped around.

A smile slowly spread onto my face and once I was off of the escalator, I walked speedily toward the sign. Once I saw that tall, slim build and those big puppy dog eyes, my anxiety shifted into excitement, and I could no longer be weighed down by my luggage. I dropped my bags and ran right into his arms, my limbs twining and locking around him while a smile made my face ache.

"Marlo!" I squealed, squeezing him tightly as he caught my sudden weight that had now settled onto him.
He chuckled lightly, kissing my cheek and continuing to hold me and rub my back soothingly.

"It's so good to see you," I admitted.
"It's good to see you too, Quinn with the mahogany skin. You're still glowing like you were when we first met," he noted while walking.
I blushed before beginning to move so that he'd get the hint that I wanted to detach myself from him.

He allowed me to do so before leaning down to grab my bags. "So, how long will you be staying in town?"
"Only about a week," I answered, following him as he led the way toward the exit.
He only seemed to nod, a comfortable silence lingering between us until we were settled in his car. It was a white 1995 Volkswagen Jetta, and he was doing a great job of maintaining it. Once we were on the road, conversation resumed. He asked me how my flight was and whether or not I was staying with my parents during my time here. I told him that my flight was alright and that I'd be staying at a hotel.

He kissed his teeth. "Quinn, you know damn well you could've stayed at my crib."
"You didn't offer," I shrugged.
"You hung up before I could!" he smiled.
"Yeah, I guess I did just kinda' drop this on you, real quick," I admitted.
"Yeah, you did," he nodded, glancing over at me before looking back at the road.

"Hey, Marlo! I'm gonna' be in town tomorrow and—"
"I do not sound like that," I playfully rolled my eyes.
"Yeah you do," he nodded.
"What is it with guys always tryna' imitate me?" my nose crinkled.

"I'm gonna' be in town tomorrow, and I need someone to pick me up from the airport. Would you mind?" he resumed mocking me as if I never spoke.
"Marl—"
"Great! Thank you so much! I'll be there at noon. See you then!" he concluded before pretending as if he was hanging up an invisible phone. "Click!"