forty five

"25"

"25"

"And this will be your section, right here," the curator directed me to a wall that stood in the midst of the entire gallery, made for people to circle around and witness art from all sides.
"This whole thing? Both sides?" I raised an eyebrow.
"Yes, sir," he gave a reassuring nod.
"Wow," I mumbled.

"Yes. The show is New Year's Eve, so we would love to have all the works here by the day before. If you need anything else or have any further questions—"
"Actually, I do have a question," I noted. "Who are a few of the other featured artists?"
"Oh, only the most ambitious and prestigious— we have you, of course, and Bryant Shaun and. . ."

the man continued to list other artists, some that I was only familiar with due to other events that we were both at. I couldn't help but notice that I didn't catch Violet's name in the line-up.

I should've been used to such an occurrence. After all, the last time I saw her name featured was alongside mine, nearly two months ago. Maybe she's been too busy with other shit that took place overseas. . . Maybe her shit's gotten played out. I hope that isn't the case, but I wouldn't be surprised, if it was. I've been hearing murmurs of how her last showcase was disappointing and how she was overshadowed by a newcomer . .

For the sake of remaining optimistic, I began thinking that maybe she was taking a break in order to find her muse. . . The reality was that she was probably locked away, snorting coke.

Maybe I should check on her. The last thing I'd want her to do is harm herself. . . then again, she always claims pain to be her fuel. She doesn't want to be saved, especially when in her most optimal state to create.

I shrugged off the thought of checking on her. She'd call, if she needed something.

Soon enough, I was heading over to Ava's home from the gallery. Usually, I'd hit the streets, but I opted out of doing so, for the day. I entered with ease, being met with the scent of incense and soft sounds of country music. I chuckled softly at the fact that I'd forgotten how much she loved country.

I locked the door behind me and took off my coat before going into the nursery to check on Jamir. When I found the crib empty, I made my way into Ava's room. There, Jamir and Ava were sitting on her bed amongst an array of toys and other items.

She glanced over, the sound of my footsteps catching her attention. "Hey, Juwan," she smiled.
"What's up?" I greeted before kicking off my Timberlands and creating my own space on her bed.

"Look who's here, Jamir. Daddy's here!" Ava softly cheered, causing him to smile and giggle before continuing to play with the blocks that sat before him.