twenty three

"dismantled fantasies"

"You lookin' kinda' thick, Quinn. Let me find out you finally started eating your collard greens and cornbread!" Sweets cackled soon after I pulled away from our hug.
"First of all, I've always eaten my collard greens and cornbread. Thank you very much. Secondly, you know better than to comment on a lady's weight," I rolled my eyes.

Sweets immediately began to imitate the roaring and hissing of a cat while she closed and locked her door behind me. "Somebody's catty today. May I ask why?"

"Sorry, Em. I've just been feeling like garbage lately, and this additional weight has done nothing but make me stressed, and I'm stress-eating to cope, but that's only making me more stressed. My cramps have been fucking horrible. They've always been horrible, but for these last couple of months, there's been at least one day where I couldn't even get out of bed," I ranted, shaking my head as I sat myself down on her couch and placed my purse next to me. "Girl, on top of that, I haven't been able to get it on with Jujubee. These last couple of months are not how I expected my new year to be going."

"What do you mean you haven't been able to get it on with him?" her eyebrows furrowed in concern.
"Sweets, it hurts," I whispered.
"Damn, how big is he?" she was unnecessarily loud.

"Sweets!" I looked at her with wide eyes, becoming slightly embarrassed.
"What?" she shrugged. "It's a serious question. That man could be tilting your cervix, and that's why you're in so much pain."

I pondered it for a moment, but I figured that if it was that crucial, my cervix would've been tilted a lot sooner. . . but then again, I have been riding a lot more lately. Gravity was probably pulling me further down onto him and—

"You need to go to the doctor, Quinn. On the real," Sweets nodded with a stern expression on her face.
"Girl, with what time? I gotta' work and—"

"You haven't even been able to get out of bed, sis. What if you won't be able to get up tomorrow? That's gonna' affect work thus affecting your paycheck. You don't want that, do you? You're gonna' have to make time for the doctor," she told me.

Oh, uh-uh. I don't do hospitals and shit. I'm good on that.

"I'm sure it's nothing," I quickly waved off the thought.
"Nothing? Quinn, your cramps have never been that bad that frequently. I knew you'd have crippling cramps every once in a while, but it's only March, and you've had 'em— almost three times. The only time sex should hurt is when you get your cherry popped. And, I can tell by the way these baggy pants are fittin' you nice and snug that this ain't nothing. Okay?" Sweets listed and lectured.

She was right. She was always right, but damn it. I've always hated going to the doctor. The whole hospital thing just wasn't for me. It reeked of death and cleaning solution.