7~Hope and Honor

∞ Nyx's POV ∞

The sun came up, then set again.

I was still in the same spot. Same position; sitting with my back to the wall. Wearing nothing but oversized leather pants, which at least dressed my lower half. I could feel my neck pulse and sting, but the cut had stopped bleeding hours ago. I had an urge to lie down and curl up into a ball, yet the idea of that dreadful pirate coming in and seeing me like that irked me. It was pathetic enough that he left the cabin with me crying like a helpless child.

Damn him... I'm such a coward!

Ace came to check on me once more. Since this morning, he has been the only one who walked into this cabin. He was probably here to give me another disgusting tonic. I could feel more energetic and less drowsy. Most probably thanks to Ace's bitter drinks. Now my body felt like I've been fighting a bear. At least I didn't feel dizzy or faint anymore. Even my thoughts became clearer. The waves did their part as well. Their rhythm had always helped me straighten my thoughts.

All in all, I was fully aware of the bottomless pit that I was in.

Ace walked into the cabin. It was starting to get darker with the sunset. He lighted a couple of lanterns in the room, then came and stood next to me. He just kept looking at me, probably waiting for me to say something or even look at him. He shouldn't expect anything from me. Why bother? I was a mere prisoner here anyway...

He knelt at my side, "Nyx, I told you to go lie on the bed. You need to rest" His voice suggested no anger, pity nor disgust. It was just calm.

How could he not be disgusted with me?

I didn't answer him, though. I blinked from time to time, but that was it. After a long moment, I could bet he was mad now.

It was understandable. If I tried to help someone who wouldn't bother to look at me, I'd be frustrated as well. I wasn't being rude on purpose. I just had nothing to say. All I wanted was to sleep and not wake up to this nightmare ever again.

He pushed a bowl to me. I knew it, another odd mixture. I slightly nodded, wishing he'd put it there and leave.

What was the point of getting better? Hell on earth wouldn't vanish just because I'm physically stronger...

He sighed; probably annoyed. Good! Now he might as well accept the fact that I'm worthless. Just like I did...

"This needs to be taken now Nyx; if it cools, it will be just bitter water"

Same voice, same tone. "Here..." He brought the bowl closer. My hands moved on their own and held it. It had an unusual smell to it. I think all the tonics he brought were different. One thing in common, a very bad aftertaste. But I didn't really care about that.

I lowered my head and looked at my reflection in the purplish water. God, I looked as horrible as life.

Ace didn't move. I could feel him staring at my neck, probably the dagger's cut. Moments later, he pushed the bowl a little further and I started drinking. With the first sip, I flinched and frowned at the acrid taste. My hands tried to push it away, but Ace resisted. I swallowed and swallowed, hoping he would take the rest back, but he continued to slowly raise the bowl until my head was bent backward. Only when it was finished did he move the bowl away. I wiped my mouth with the back of my hand and shivered at the bad aftertaste.

Ace chuckled and got up, "Sorry for the taste, but it's the best way to get your main energy back."

"........Thank you"