9. halloween

happy halloween, bitches. it's time to get s p o o p y! (edit: please ignore me. i know it's not actually halloween but it's october so it cOUNTS! +i'm not waiting almost a month just to update this again bc???)

"it's the most wonderful time of the year!" billie sang, skipping around my flat, tossing random pieces of candy throughout the different rooms. 

billie grabbed my hand and began to make an effort of twirling me around, which must have been quite the sight. tae was giggling at us from where he sat cross-legged on the beanbag that billie had dragged into the living room. i frowned at him. "don't laugh at us. you're the one not dancing." 

he stopped laughing almost immediately, staring at me with a blank expression. "but i don't even know why you guys are dancing. what's so important and wonderful? about october?"

billie dramatically clutched at her heart. "the poor child! i almost forgot that they don't celebrate halloween in korea the same way as we do."

"my heart aches for you," i said, falling back onto my couch. 

billie handed a piece of candy to tae, who took it without hesitation and practically tore through the wrapper. she giggled. "let us teach you the ways of halloween my friend." she held her hand out to him.

he paused in between bites, glancing between both billie and i, his expression staying blank.

billie grabbed tae by the hand, pulling him up with all of her might. he grunted and began to choke on the piece of candy that had been in his mouth but was now lodged in his throat. billie began patting his back, loud thumps sounding throughout the living room. when he was done, billie spoke again. "come sit over here, between dan and i, so we can teach you." 

"so, let me get this straight," phil said, staring straight at the halloween outfits that sat in front of us. "we're here to buy halloween outfits. specifically because tae has never experienced halloween. and we're apparently not going to sit inside and watch scary movies like originally planned. am i correct?" 

"yes, i would say so," i replied, picking up a lion onesie. "and i say you have to be a lion. i'm buying this for you." 

"you're only allowed to buy it for me if you let me buy the dinosaur one for you." 

"what the- why?" i asked. "why would i be a dinosaur?" 

billie's arms laced around my neck from behind, surprising me a little. "you wouldn't be a dinosaur." she moved so that she was standing in front of me. "you'd be a dan-osaur." she gave phil a high-five. phil pulled his hand against his chest a moment after.

"ouch! you high-five too hard."

i rolled my eyes. "so, billie what have you decided on being? if it's terrible i might go with the dan-osaur idea." i leaned against the aisle, smiling at her. "i doubt you'd ever go for terrible though. looks like i'm going as something else! sorry, phil." 

"actually," billie said, tilting her head to one side, "mine might be pretty embarrassing. that's why i originally came over here. tae has been laughing at it for the past five minutes and people were starting to stare but i didn't want to stop him because his laugh sounds really cute."