ch-9 Harold And Garret

Ch-9: The House

It was a hot afternoon. The neighbourhood streets were mostly empty. Sam, Suzie, Jake and I sat inside the abandoned red brick building.

"Are the cops still there?" I asked.

Jake peeked out. "Yep." he answered and sat back on the dusty floor.

I groaned. "We can't just sit here all day!" I folded my arms.

"Well then, listen to this princess. We are," Jake said putting an arm around Suzie.

I rolled my eyes. "You should know that I can't sit still for a long time," I said, looking away.

"Well, we stayed here for one night!" Suzie shrieked.

"That's not my problem!" I shrieked back.

"It is!"

"Is not!"

"Is!"

"Not!"

"Is!"

"Not!"

"Okay, would you guys just keep it down. Or else the police will find us here," Jake said peeping out again. "The cops are still out there."

I looked away, pouting with anger. All that I felt like doing was murdering Suzie.

"You know what. I don't care whether the cops are still there or not," I said getting up.

"Hey! Caroline. What're you doing!? You'll get yourself into trouble!.....And us too!" Jake whisper-shouted. I just ignored him and walked out of the building.

"Caroline!" Jake called again.

"It's okay, Jake. Why are you caring for her," I heard Suzie say. As I walked further, I heard footsteps behind me. I swung around and was just going to scream with shock, but Jake put a hand over my mouth.

"Shhh," he whispered.

I turned around again and saw a cop right ahead. Both of us quickly hid behind a wall. Sam and Suzie also came and stood right behind us.

"So what're you trying to do, princess?" Jake asked, pulling his arm away from my mouth.

"Obviously, trying to escape from this place......before some cop finds me," I answered, my eyes fixed on the cop in front of us.

Jake rolled his eyes.

"What're you rolling your eyes for!?" I asked, putting my hands on my hips.

"Because that's a stupid idea. There are cops all over this neighbourhood for some reason. And on top of that, the roads are mostly empty, so it will take a second for the cops to spot you," Jake replied.

"So you have a better idea, Mr Smart pants?" I asked with lifted eyebrows. Jake did not answer and started walking towards the cop in front of you.

"What's he doing?" I asked, staring after him confusedly.

"Whatever he is doing, is better than whatever you were going to do!" Suzie said rudely. I pulled a face at her and quickly followed Jake. I slapped him hard on his shoulder to stop him from whatever he was doing. But he just ignored me and continued walking.

"Hey......cop," Jake said as soon as he was close enough to him. I gasped.

The cop glanced at Jake for a second, then continued looking in the other direction. I don't think he saw me.

"Hey kid," the cop answered. "Why're you here alone. Where's your mommy?"

"Uh.....she's at home...p-preparing lunch," Jake stammered. "Well, I'd actually come out to play with my friends. But no no one's out. Except that there are too many cops around here," he added.