Ch-11 The Dance

Ch-11: The Dance

There was a splash of water on my face. I opened my eyes quickly and saw Jake standing in front of me. "Good morning, sleepy head." He said.  Suzie was standing beside him but was looking somewhere else.

I stretched.

Suddenly, Sam came running towards us with bananas in his mouth.

After having our breakfast, I said, "So....Let's get out of this neighbourhood and go somewhere....You know, where there are not many people."

Jake looked at me. "Why?"

"Because so many people know me out here. So the police will find me soon and..."

"And nothing. There are many memories of suzie and me in this neighbourhood. I know, not all of them are great to remember, but I would like to stay at this place for at least one more day." Said Jake without looking at me.

I stared at suzie. She completely ignored me. I shrugged. "fine, so can we go to a more... 'isolated place' tomorrow?"

After a moment, Jake nodded his head.

"Thank you," I said rolling my eyes. He looked at me and I stared back. Suddenly, a smile started curving his lips, but he tried his best not to show it.

This was the right moment. I quickly took out my camera and clicked his picture. He looked startled by the sudden flash.

I laughed, "wow! You look really constipated in this picture. Mind if I put it on Facebook?" I asked teasingly.

Jake shook his head and finally revealed the smile he was hiding. That's when Suzie shot me a glare. I scowled at her.

"Let's go, Jake. Let's roam around the neighbourhood." Susie said.

Jake nodded his head and got up. He offered me a hand, but I pushed it away. "I can help myself, Jake," I said angrily, getting up from the footpath.

"Oh yeah, I forgot," Jake replied.

We walked along the road. Jake and I walked together, while Suzie and Sam walked together in front of us.

"So, why were you crying yesterday?" Jake suddenly asked.

"What do you mean?" I asked not meeting his gaze.

Jake stopped me and looked at me.

"Oh come on, Caroline. I noticed your tear stained cheeks and your watery eyes." He said.

"Well, I...uh, I....." I was trying my best to find an excuse, but I stopped when I saw Jake's expression suddenly changed. He was looking behind me now and stared with wide eyes.

I turned around and saw Harold and Garret standing at the other end of the road, next to a vegetable shop.

Harold had fixed the most dangerous look at Jake, while Garret was plainly smiling at him evilly.

"Oh gosh," I muttered under my breath.

"Come on," Jake told me, still scowling at the two men. Then he took me by the hand and walked briskly ahead.

I stared back at Harold and Garret. Harold nodded his head to greet me and I nodded back.

All four of us jogged away from there.

After Harold and Garret had disappeared from sight, I stopped. "We've lost 'em," I said, trying to sound a little panicky.

*~*~*~*~*~*~

It was almost evening now. Jake, Suzie, Sam and I had been roaming around throughout. We only stopped once to eat lunch, which Sam brought for us.

There was a crowd on the road we were on.