Ch-13. Suzie's Disappearance

Ch-13: Suzie's Disappearance

My eyelids fluttered open. There was a racket going on around me. I tilted my head a bit to see Sam barking and Jake rushing here and there.

I sat up straight and rubbed my eyes drowsily. I needed more sleep. Suddenly, Jake realized that I'd woken up and rushed towards me.

"Caroline, where is Suzie?" He asked desperately.

I stared at him blankly. "What do you mean?" I asked massaging my forehead.

"Suzie's not here. She wasn't here when I woke up!" Jake cried impatiently.

I stayed quiet and let the words register in my head. When it did, my eyes grew wide. I threw my blanket away and sat up straight.

"She's missing?" I cried. Jake nodded his head frantically. "Did you check the restaurant?"

"Yes! I even asked the owner. He said he has no idea." Jake replied, panic-stricken.

I looked around. Where could Suzie go?!

I quickly dumped my heels in my backpack and word my sneakers. "Come on. She won't be that far." I said reassuringly, swinging the backpack around my shoulders. Then we jogged back from where we came.

"Does Suzie have a habit of sleepwalking?" I asked.

"No," Jake replied, biting the inside of his cheek.

"Suzie!" Jake shouted as soon as we reached the main road. I also joined him.

We reached street after street but failed to find Suzie.

Jake put his head between his arms. "Where is she?" he said worriedly. I looked at him. I'd never seen him like this. He was a complete mess.

I looked around. "Suzie!" I screamed again. People passing us looked at me as if I was insane, but I just ignored them.

I called Suzie's name a few more times but to no avail. I finally gave up and turned back to Jake.

"Jake!" a voice screamed from behind me. I swung around. Jake looked in the same direction too.

"S-Suzie," Jake said aloud.

"Jake!" we heard her voice again. But where was she?

Jake called out her name again. We again heard her voice and turned to the road we were next to.

The traffic light shone red. There were many vehicles on the road. One of them was a truck with sacks in it. But there was something else in the truck, other than the sacks.
SUZIE!

Suddenly, the traffic light changed to green and the truck started to move.

"Suzie!" cried Jake, running on the footpath along the road, after the truck. I ran after him.

The truck suddenly took a right turn. Jake stopped. "We......cant chase....the truck like.....this. We'll have to......run on the......road," he said between breaths.

"Well then what are we waiting for?" I said. Jake looked at me for a second, then we both sprinted on the road, after the truck. There were cars honking at us from everywhere, but the honking fell on deaf ears.

I could see Suzie now. She looked terrified. Jake was right beside me. Suddenly, Jake turned to the right side of the road.

There was a car coming from in front of Jake. His eyes grew wide and he tried to stop himself. There were a loud continuous honk and a screeching of breaks. Then I saw no more. I was much ahead of Jake. People were screaming at me and there were more screeching if breaks.