When Your Past Haunts You

Nao Sakura

Flashback

A child walks alone in the middle of the night, her head hung lowly as she recalls the things that happened earlier.

The clueless child searched her way back to the place she’s from, the orphanage. She got lost when she attempted to buy the supplies they needed for the next month.

She wanders aimlessly for hours until she found the familiar path that would lead her back home. She excitedly run towards the small building and joyfully entered. She wanted to announce her arrival to the head mistress that is until she heard their loud chatters.

“Where’s Y/N?” an old man spoke, rubbing his white mustache. Y/N recognizes the man as the helper of the head mistress.

“Maybe that idiot of a girl got lost.” The woman nonchalantly answered the man.

“Are we goin’ ta find her?” the man questioned the woman who seems to be busy reading counting her money.

“Why bother? That girl is basically useless, no one wants her. Besides it’s one less mouth to feed.” The head mistress responded getting back to her money counting.

The girl who heard all of that quietly leave the building she thought was her home.

The head mistress is right after all. She’s useless, all of the other kids are telling her that and she’s an idiot, that’s why nobody wants to adopt her. She knew all of this but she kept smiling and laughing, she’d hidden all her pain.

And now, she decided to disappear in their lives. She will support herself, she will study and be successful, and she will be stronger. She will do these by herself.

You woke up from your dream, your memory. You felt Nao’s hugging you who’s sleeping soundly in the comfort of your body.  You hugged him back, silently thanking that you finally got someone by your side.

I’ll stay with you no matter what, Nao.

Makoto Ritsu

“Dad! No!” a young girl pleaded at the huge man towering her trembling form.

“You need to learn, Y/N! Didn’t I tell you to shut your f*cking mouth!” the man shouted at her daughter.

*click*

The place where the child is in turned black, she can’t see anything until her eyes adjusts. It’s happening again, Y/N's locked inside the dark closet.

In this household, the only people who are permitted to speak are her father and a woman he often brings. Her mother would always be outside working and coming back late when she’s asleep at night and her father would always be the one who will take care of her. But everytime, every single time they are left in the house, Y/N would be forced to stay in her room and be quiet. Her father and that woman would often be irritated when they are disturbed in their business every time Y/N tries to voice out her hunger, then she would be locked.

As time goes by, the little girl learned to keep silent and just observe. Later on, her mother discovered her husband’s affair and divorced. It should be all fine that her father is now gone, but the damage caused isn’t fixed thus, her mother decided to rehabilitate the girl’s health.

Y/N got counseling and treatments.

She got better, she’s ‘normal’ again but she feared the dark.

You woke up from your nightmare.

The closet, the meds, the hospital, the doctors and the people who treated you like your crazy is all coming back.

You’re trembling form found Makoto’s room, all you needed now is your boyfriend to comfort you who’s surprised to see you.

“M-M-Ma-c-chan, c-c-can I s-sleep h-here?” you sobbed.

Makoto motioned you to come as he scoots to give you more space. He hugged you and whispers sweet nothings to comfort you. He didn’t bother to ask since being a yandere has its perks. He promised to visit the hospital you’re father is in due to his sweet revenge.

I won’t let you escape this time, you d*mned old man.

Ai Tachibana

The youngest princess of the southern kingdom happily chatted with her sisters until the bell rang and they went to their own rooms. The bell indicated the time they can spare outside.

The day she was born, her faith was sealed to live as a normal mermaid like every youngest child should be. But she shows signs that she’s not an ordinary princess.

She’d read all the books in their kingdom’s enormous library in a span of months and she surpasses her eldest sister after a year. She can be a perfect ruler but her power is uncontrollable.

She can’t bend the water on her will.

And so the king decided to protect his princess by securing her marriage to one of the powerful kingdom alongside with them. He believed that both kingdoms’ power would provide the power his princess can’t have. He never thought that one  day his decision would lead his princess to leave.

Two years ago...

The princess knew her faith.

Her father would always tell her the importance of her marriage and she understands. But she wanted to explore the world, she don’t want to be kept inside an elaborate chamber, and she don’t want her every actions to be guarded.

She wanted to be free.

“Tomorrow, tomorrow I will finally be free.” The princess whispered and re-calculated her plans.

The day of her engagement comes but the youngest princess is nowhere to be found.

She disguised herself as a maid and sneakily went out. By the time the bell rang she’s kingdom’s away. She didn’t stop swimming until she spotted her desired land.

She exhaustedly climbed as her fins turned to legs and collapsed.

A man dressed in an academy robe noticed the collapsed h/c lady at the cliff, he flew and carried the princess in his arms.

The princess woke up in a room inside the academy’s dormitories. They found out her fins and enrolled her.

*chu*

You felt something soft pressed against your cheeks as you woke up from your daydreaming.

“W-What did you do? Idiot-Ai!” you asked flustered at the sensation.

“I kissed you, nya~” he replied cutely smiling at you.

“Why?!” you exclaimed, touching your red cheeks.

“You won’t respond to me!” Ai whined “You’re not thinking of another man, right?” his tone darkened.

“I am.” You responded curious of what his reaction will be.

Ai tensed up, his eyes darkening “Who?” he calmly questioned, his face twisting into a scary expression you’d never seen.

“M-My father.” You responded before nervously laughing trying to lighten the mood but his face didn’t change.

It looks like he’s deeply thinking something hideous and can’t hear you speak.

“O-Oi, Ai.”

He didn’t respond.

You thought of anything you can do to calm Ai.

I will regret this!

You copied what your neko boyfriend did earlier to get your attention.

You kissed him on the cheek.

“I’m thinking about my father, Ai.” You repeated ,cheeks flaming red as you roll your eyes at the now shocked Ai.

“Your father, nya? You should’ve told me earlier!” and he goes back to being the clever cat he is.

That’s what I did,tch.