Ch. 2: I kid you not

Maybe May was right, after all?

Ash was with Gary in the cafeteria. They were having lunch together with another girl Misty recognized from a couple of classes. Her name was Leaf and her breasts were unrealistically big.

It seemed like the fool had no idea he was paired up with her so Misty felt like she had to tell him. She was a serious student and she wanted to get the work done already. They had to come up with a topic and Ash has to work together with her. Misty wanted a good grade and she won't let the loser stand on her way.

Leaf was the first to look up when Misty got to their table.

"Uh, hi." Misty has never felt nervous like this before. The three were looking at her but Misty only looked at Ash. It was hard trying to ignore Gary's beautiful green eyes but she needed to take care of the loser first. "We need to talk."

"Me?" Ash pointed at himself.

"Yes."

Ash looked at his friends and then at Misty. "Me?"

"Yes, Ash, you." This is bad.

"Now?" He made a face. "I'm eating."

Oh God... she wanted to get home early today to study for the math test. She didn't want to waste time with Ash. She had no time to waste on this.

"Why are you so rude? Get up and go talk to the girl." Gary elbowed him and sipped his soda.

Yes, this is why I like you. Every girl at school practically had a crush on Gary Oak at some point of her life and it was Misty's turn.

Misty liked Gary Oak a lot.

"I'm not rude. This is lunch break." Ash grunted. He got up and pushed his chair to the back. "She's rude."

Misty snapped. "Hey, I asked politely!"

"Fine, I'm sorry. I'm rude and you're not. Okay?" Ash grinned sarcastically and from up close, Misty could see his transparent braces. Wasn't that stuff expensive?

If she were his parent, she wouldn't waste a single penny on him. He was just useless and lazy. There was no way he would make it to college. He'd not make it anywhere in life. Why even fix his teeth?

"Oh God, there he goes again." Leaf hid her face with her hands. She and Gary exchanged a look and sighed.

Misty chose to ignore that. She started making her way to the exit. Ash was right behind her.

They stood by the exit. Misty took out a notebook and gave it to him.

"What's this?"

"It's for the suggestions. Write down yours."

He narrowed his eyes. "What suggestions?"

"For Communication class project." Misty's tone voice was flat. "No one told you? We're paired up together."

"What?" Ash blinked. "Are you kidding me? I have to do this?"

"No and yes."

"But isn't it due in two months?"

"Time will fly by quickly and exams are coming up." What was she talking about? Ash didn't care about exams.

"Okay, how about this," he began and gave her the notebook back. "I like all your suggestions. You can do whatever you want. Here."

"You're supposed to work too, you know." She sounded mad.

"Macy-"

"It's Misty."

"It's the same thing." Ash shrugged. "Look, I'm kind of hungry and busy right now. Can we talk about this later?"

"No, I'm busy."

Ash pushed the door open. "I'm going to miss lunch and I don't like skipping meals. We'll talk about this later."

"Hey!"

Ash disappeared into the cafeteria before Misty could say anything.

What a bad start.