Ch. 11: Books and hugs

"Reese? Aren't you still tired? Maybe you shouldn't go out now."

"It's fine. I need to get out though. I'm getting bored."

"Oh, well..." Seth's mother carried Tyler between her arms as she watched Reese put on her Ugg boots beside the door. She called her to come and keep an eye on the newborn while she goes on a 'mission'. "Be back soon, okay?"

"Okay."

"Don't walk, okay? Take a cab."

"It's fine! I can walk."

"Either you take a cab either I call Seth right now!"

"Fine! Fine!" Reese chuckled a bit. She walked up to Seth's mother and kissed her son on the forehead. "I'll be back soon, Tyler, okay?"

"He's drifting into sleep quickly." Reese kissed her mother-in-law on the cheek. "I won't take long."

"I hope."

"Bye!"

"Don't run!"

"Fine!"

Reese left the house and took the first cab she encountered.

"He's growing up so quickly!" Misty giggled loudly as she brushed her finger against Tyler's cheek. He was starting to get used to her and he even smiled and giggled when she carried him or when she touched his cheek. "God bless him."

"I swear he looks exactly like Seth." Reese picked Tyler up and told Misty, "His eyes are the same color as Seth's! Both are blue!"

"Yeah, it's true!"

"Dad is saying it's his eyes but, oh well." Reese giggled to herself. "Tell me, how is school? Are you and Ash doing well?"

"Oh, uhm..." Misty's face expression suddenly changed. "I haven't seen him in a while."

"He has this habit of skipping Monday and Tuesday."

"No, uhm..." Misty shook her head. "He hasn't come to school in, like... fifteen days or so? Even more..."

"What? Why?"

"I don't know."

Reese frowned. "That's really weird. Mom and dad don't let him skip that many days. Is he sick?"

"I'm not sure..."

"Did you call him? Did you go to see him?"

"He doesn't answer my calls..." Misty spoke in a lower voice.

Reese reached out for the doorbell of her parents' house and rang it. She then remembered her mother has tagged along her father's last business trip. The housekeeper came once a day and it seemed like she was already gone. Reese got out her old keys and kept trying keys until she succeeded in unlocking the door. 

She looked around. "Ash?"

Silence.

"He's probably upstairs..." Reese walked up the stairs and headed instantly to her brother's bedroom. The door was locked indeed.

"Ash? It's me, Reese."

She could hear the door get unlocked. Reese turned the doorknob and got inside slowly. She then closed the door after her and stepped forward. The bed was messy and there were books thrown all over the place.

Ash was sitting down on his bed with his knees pulled up reading some sort of a novel. He looked up. "Weren't you supposed to stay home until your wound is healed?"