2.6

Before my mom gave birth to me, there wasn't just me inside of her, but my twin sister. She was born with the umbilical cord wrapped around her neck and was unrevivable. 

My mom didn't tell me about it much. I knew her name was supposed to be Rose and of course, my name was going to be Rene. Though my mom didn't tell me much, I knew it hurt her still.

So I couldn't bring myself to understand how Gracie felt. Gracie lost her baby. Though she wasn't showing, I was there when the baby left her body. I remember everything. How she began to scream and how much blood was on the bathroom floor. Her face as she screamed in agony and the amount of sweat that drenched her. The way her body was limp in Michael's arms as he put her in Ashton's car to take her to the hospital.

I was drenched in Gracie's blood, as was Michael. Ashton's car seats and shoes were covered in blood as well, but that was the least of our concern.

By the time we got to the hospital, Gracie's parents met us there.

"Guys, go home, get dressed," her mother begged Michael, Ashton, and I. "We'll be here, go eat too. We're in for a long night," we all nod in agreement, except for Michael. He hesitates and walks with us to Ashton's car in silence.

I sit in the passenger seat as Ash gets into the driver's seat, Michael sits in the back. The air is heavy and I feel like I can't breathe until I feel Ashton's hand entwine with mine.

I look at him and he looks back at me, wiping my tears before he starts up the car. As Ashton drives, I can hear Michael hiccuping in the back, while I use my free-hand to text the rest of the group and let them in on what happened.

We dropped Michael off at Calum's just in case something happened and made sure that Calum would give him extra clothes and meet us at the hospital.

"Can I take a shower at your house? I have extra clothes in the back," I nodded my head and watched his thumb rub over the skin of my hand.

"I like your hair," he compliments and I let out a laugh.

"Out of everything going on, that's what you have to say," I chuckled and he started to chuckle along with me. Our laughing settles and we finally catch our breaths.

"I'm sorry," Ashton breathes.

"I know," I tell him.

"Do you think we'll ever get back together?" he asks and I shrug my shoulders.

"I don't really know, Ashton. Can we stop talking about this and just go to my house?" I snap.  He nods his head and continues to drive down the road.

...

I sit down on my bed, waiting for Ashton to finish taking a shower. I ended up throwing my clothes away and texting my mom, letting her know that'd I be with Gracie at the hospital.

"Hey, um, you didn't have any towel-"

"Ashton, cover your dick!" I yell out at him. He puts his hands over his junk and mutters an apology. I cover my eyes and let out another laugh. "There's a towel on my chair, just take that one," the hint of happiness in my voice takes me back and I wait for my door to shut, indicating that he was gone.

Once Ashton finished drying himself and changing, I packed a blanket and a hoodie because the hospital's air conditioner was set on high and I was cold as ice when I waiting in there and loaded into the car, swinging by to pick up Madi, Abbey, Moon, and Luke.

We went to Taco Bell to sit down and eat, and explain everything to them before order Gracie's parents some food, while we got a text from Michael asking if we could get Gracie a chocolate milkshake to cheer her up.

When we arrived at the hospital, we gave Gracie's parents their food and Michael and Calum some food as well.

"Thank you guys, so much," her mom thanks me.

"I brought you some clothes," Madi tells Gracie's mom, handing her a pair of sweatpants, a red tee shirt, and some socks.

"Same here," Calum says to Gracie's father.

"God Bless you kids. Gracie is okay, Michael, she wants to see you," her mom says. I hand Michael the milkshake and he pulls me in for a hug and gives me a kiss on the cheek.

"You're the best, I love you so much," he whispers. I shrug and he gives me a sad smile before walking away.

As Michael left, we all decided to gather around in a circle, sitting on the floor, while Gracie's parents sat on the chairs, eating, along with Calum.

Madi was resting her head on Calum's shoulder while he kept loudly chewing his taco.

Luke had his hand on Abbey's thigh, which usually wouldn't be noticeable considering they were covered with a blanket, but with Luke's monster hands, it was pretty evident that he was drawing shapes on the inside of her thigh.

As for me, I was lying my head on Ashton's lap, feeling him stroke my hair. Before I closed my eyes, I examined the people in the waiting room.

An older woman was holding an oxygen mask to the mouth of her husband (I'm assuming). A man was holding his face in his hands while a boy, who looks like he was in high school, was crying. I let out a deep sigh and close my eyes.

Drifting off to what I wish was an eternity.