The Epilogue

Rene

I attended Arizona State University and eventually lost contact with everyone except for Madi, who ended up at Washington University. She got her psychology degree and is currently studying to get her Doctorate while being a grief counselor. 

I occasionally talked with Calum who would update me on everyone. About a year or so ago, he and Madi got back together. 

My mom eventually moved to Arizona to be closer to me, and she now works as a tutor for kids with learning disabilities. 

The Skype ringtone echoes against the walls. Marcus, my boyfriend, gives me a kiss and bids a, "I love you," before heading out the front door. I run to my bed and quickly jump in front of my laptop, and answer the green video button.

"Madi!" I shout when her face appears. 

"Rene, I got a surprise for you!" she exclaims before turning her computer and showing me the rest of the gang. 

"Oh my God! Hey guys!" 

"When are you and Marcus coming out here?" Abbey says, obviously anxious for my return. 

"Our plane leaves tonight."

~

High school reunions are interesting. What I mean by interesting, it's where you get to see everyone you had a bond with ten years later. It's weird how everyone seemed to pick up where they left off, and that included me and my friends. 

Marcus and I met everyone at the airport. Everything was a bit awkward because a lot of us were in a relationship with each other and weren't anymore, well except for Madi and Calum. 

"Marcus this is Madi, as you know and Calum. This Abbey, Luke- wait are you guys together?" I tilt my head at Abbey. She smiles widely before nodding her head and take his hand in hers. 

"We've been together for like the past three years," Luke says before planting a kiss on Abbey's cheek. 

"Alright, we'll talk about this later. And, Marcus, this is Gracie, Michael, and Ashton," Ashton and Marcus exchanged glances with each other, then they shook hands and gave each other an approving nod. 

The 10th year anniversary of our graduating class was tomorrow and so we all decided we'd stay at Madi's and Calum's apartment. 

The next day was interesting. We all went out for lunch and the girls and I went out to breakfast beforehand. 

"I like your dress. You look pretty, Rene." Ashton tells me. I smile at him and feel a pair of arms wrap around my waist. 

"Thank you, Ashton. And hello Marcus," I look at him, placing a kiss on his lips. 

"You all about ready?" Michael peeks from behind the door. We all decide to head out of the house and go to the school. 

Stepping back in was like taking a deep breath of my past. I can remember almost everything that occurred in these hallways. 

"Guys?" we turn our heads and Moon comes into view.

"Moon!" We all shout in unison before walking towards her and engulfing her in our arms, forming a group hug. 

We walked in and we saw people talking around tables and it reminded me of senior year prom, except there was no dancing.

"Hey, can I talk to you?" Luke asks, tugging at the sleeve of my dress. I nod at him and let Marcus know before he returns to his conversation with Ashton on drumkits. 

I follow Luke out the doors and he pulls me to the side. He was paler than usual and he exhaled, his cheeks puffing out. 

"Are you okay?" he rubbed his hands together anxiously, swallowing a lump in his throat.

"I just need to tell you, because I know I can trust you unlike the boys, I'm-I-uh..." he stutters, shaking his head. Before he lets another word slip out of his mouth, he reaches into his pocket.

"It's for Abbey," he says, opening up the small box, containing a beautiful ring. "I want her to be my wife, Rene," 

Three Years Later

Abbey and Luke married each other eighteen months later, the wedding would have been sooner, but Abbey got pregnant and had twins, one boy, and one girl, whom she named Jack and Rose. 

Madi and Calum ended up together and they're engaged, Madi is currently pregnant with a little boy, whom she's naming after her father. 

As for Michael and Gracie, Gracie could not have children, but she and Michael did end up getting married and are looking at adopting. 

Ashton and I got back together only a few months ago, but we started living together and adopted a dog. Marcus and I broke up on mutual terms but we are still friends. 

There is no happy ever after, there's no ending. This was my beginning. 

The biggest speech I had ever given was this; my book, my life.

This is my voice. This is who I am. This is my speech.