The First Day of Kindergarten

Annabeth's POV

"Oh darling don't you ever grow up. Don't you ever grow just stay this little—" the alarm clock sang at 6:45, I slapped its top.

That stupid song was demeaning today. Luke is my little boy, he's not supposed to grow up. Today was his first day of kindergarten, what's next?! First day of high school, first day of college! Watching him say I do at his wedding?! I wasn't ready for this! I couldn't handle it! All I had to do was hug him goodbye and watch him catch the bus for the first day. This would last half an hour, I could do it. I can do it. I can do it... I can't do it! Oh my gods maybe Percy should do it.

"Annabeth, I've never seen you wake up that fast. Are you feeling ok?" Percy mumbled.

"No! How is my baby boy going to kindergarten? Didn't we bring him home from the hospital yesterday?" I whimpered, fidgeting with my hands.

"No wise girl, we brought Taylor home a few months ago. It's going to be ok, Zoe is going to preschool today, so that won't be an issue this time. And Luke is excited, he was bouncing off the walls last night. I'll be here this morning to help, you're going to be just fine." Percy reassured me, he rubbed my tense shoulders.

I took a deep breath, "you're right, he's only gone until 3:30, I can handle it. I've got four other kids to keep me occupied."

"Yes, that's right. You're going to be just fine, trust me. Now come on, let's get dressed, do you want to wake everyone up or should I?"

"I'll do it." I wheezed, then I slowly stood up and pulled on jeans and a big grey sweatshirt. I crept down the hall to wake Luke up first. I tapped his shoulder, "Luke, time to wake up it's the..." I never finished, he rolled right over and his eyes lit up with excitement.

"THE FIRST DAY OF SCHOOL!" Luke cheered, he leaped out of bed and ran to the closet where we had laid his outfit last night.

"Are you excited Luke?" I asked half heartedly.

"Yeah mommy! I'm so excited! I get to ride the bus, and see my teacher and play outside!" Luke sang as he pulled on his green dinosaur t-shirt.

"Ok kiddo, get dressed and go on downstairs. Daddy's got breakfast all ready for you." I told him after he pulled on his jeans.

"Ok thanks mommy!" Luke grinned as he ran past me to find his dad downstairs.

I smiled sadly and walked into Zoe's room. She was sound asleep under ocean blue covers. "Zoe, time to wake up." I tapped her shoulder.

Zoe rubbed her eyes and just like Luke's they lit up when she realized what day it was. "It's the first day of school!"

"That's right Zoe. Do you need me to help you get dressed?" I asked her.

She bounded out of bed, "no thank you mommy. I can do it." She began to put on her jeans and her sky blue fleece sweater. My kids were growing up too fast.

"Daddy's got breakfast waiting downstairs." I told her.

"Ok thank you mommy!" Zoe beamed as she ran past me in pursuit of the stairs.

I did the same things to the twins and they needed help getting ready. Thank the gods, because I probably would've helped them even if they didn't want me to. Then lastly I got six month old Taylor ready, then helped Silena down the stairs. Silena was so cute, she wasn't as confident about the stairs as Charlie was, who thought that whatever Luke could do, he could too.

I reached the downstairs with my girls and the smell of pancakes enveloped me like an old friend. Percy was flipping pancakes everywhere for the kids who would laugh and laugh when he did something funny. Everyone was going down to the bus stop to watch Luke say goodbye to his family. "You get to ride the big yellow bus Lukey, I wanna ride the bus." My three year old whined.