Chapter 12: So you think you can play?

"So for the project don't you think it would be better if Kei was the speaker? He looks professional while speaking" Eiko spoke as the 4 of us shared one big table, trying to plan out our group project as it was due the following week.

"Well the only reason he looks professional is because he looks like a robot" I pointed out as he rolled his eyes at me as I stuck my tounge out at him.

"Okay. Enough flirting. How about Kami can work on finding the research and we'll help too. And Eiko and me can work on the slides and poster" Yamaguchi pointed out as the three of us nodded our head in agreement.

"What will I do then?" Kei spoke up as we looked at him.

"You are doing the talking. So Kami will give you notes you can practice on" Eiko said while putting her laptop away as I put my binders away and propped my elbows on the table and just waited for the buzzer to ring in the next 15 minutes.

"What are guys doing for lunch?" Yamaguchi asked as we both shrugged our shoulders.

"Maybe play practice some soccer or something since soccer season is coming up soon. What about you two?" I asked as Eiko ended up scribbling on my arm, drawing little flowers on my arm leading to my palm as I didn't really seem to mind.

"We were just gonna eat and then I was going to practice my recieving with Tsukki!" Yamaguchi happily noted as I smiled.

"Kagami-chan!"

I looked towards the door to see a small group of people enter the empty room that we had occupied. A group of 4 boys and 3 girls. All of which I knew, but some I disliked. The girls looked at me weirdly and the boys seemed upbeat for some reason.

They approached the table before slamming down 50 bucks on the table. The boy had a smile on his face with clenched fists.

"If you win against me in a match of volleyball then I owe you money! But if I win, I get a date with you!"

Now, I'm not one for going on dates with people unless it was my boyfriend. And Kei looked rather annoyed as he put on his headphones and looked away. In which, he probably wasn't even listening to music and was eavesdropping on the conversation. Adding on, I wasn't one to take people's money, but the side of me that loved bets thought that this was going to be a fun match and an easy win. My brother would do the same in this situation. We both gained our love of bets - that were reasonable - from my father who made a lot of bets in his teenage years.

Standing up from my chair and slinging my backpack around my shoulder, I gently handed his money back with a smile.

"So you think you can play?" I questioned as some of the guys in the room hollered in which raised the tension.

I knew this kid. He played in middle school for one year as an alternative. I saw him at games but he never played them and sat on the bench with some other teammates. He wasn't in the current volleyball team, and didn't attend any sports camps that I knew of. Maybe be was secretly a good player?

"I know I can play. Meet me at lunch in the west gym. You four can be a team and these three will be part of my team" he spoke cockily as he presented 2 boys and 1 girl. None of which were in the volleyball teams and none of which were in any sports team except for badminton.

"So much for playing soccer at lunch. But fine. See you at gym"

And at that, the buzzer had rang, indicating that lunch had started.

_______________________________________

As Eiko and me walked out of the changerooms in our black spandex shorts and a plain white tee with our school logo on the top left corner, We saw that the other team was hardly dressed appropriate. Two of the Boys had changed their clothes except for their shoes. The girl - who was going to be their Libero - had her school shirt on with a pair of sweats and running shoes. The boy who had started the bet was the only one who was changed appropriately for this sport.