Chapter 13: Related

Not a lot of people knew of our relation, but all of us knew that we were related. It was weird to find out at first when we were kids since we all went our separate ways into doing things we enjoyed.

When we found out, it turned out to be rather shocking. We knew we had relatives in Hasetsu, seeing that we visited it a lot, but we never really knew my dad's side of the family as well as my mom's side. My brother and I both knew that he had 3 sisters that got married and went on with their separate lives so we never really interacted with them as much.

My Grandmother was from Iwami Tottori, other words know as Iwatobi Town where my father grew up. He moved with our grandfather from Iwami to Hasetsu when he was in his teens to pursue a volleyball team that they had there. Although it was a long journey, But he managed to make it there and stay with relatives where he then met my mother at Hasetsu while playing beach volleyball.

In the end, they got married and moved to Sendai in Miyagi Prefecture where there was a powerhouse school known as Karasuno and wanted their kids to grow up loving volleyball. My brother and I both went through Akiyama Elementary and Kitagwa Daichii Junior high before we both came to Karasuno.

It all happened as we looked at our parent's wedding photos of our whole family. There seemed to be less people on my dad's side of the photo compared to my mom's side. I saw my aunt and uncle - parents of Kira and Jin - and other people who I had recognized. But when I looked at my dad's side, it was just filled with unfamiliar faces.

Our dad had to explain to us the whole story of how his side of the family came to be, and it was really confusing to interpret at first, but then we both understood it.

When our dad lived in Iwami, he lived in a household with 3 other siblings, all three were my aunts that I hardly ever talked to. He said that when his parents separated when he was a teen, he and his oldest sister and his youngest sister went with his dad to Hasetsu where they had relatives living there that they knew they could stay with. He said his 2nd oldest sister - my dad was the youngest of the 4 - stayed with Grandma to help take care of her and ended up starting a family there.

My aunt eventually got married and took her husband's last name of Nanase. In which they named their child Haruka Nanase, who I looked up who he was on social media, only to find out that he had swam at an international competition for swimming. He was only 18, meaning that he was older than me by 2 years and was older than Kageyama by a year.

Moving on, when my dad had moved to Hasetsu as Kageyama Kateru  with his sisters and our grandpa, he ended up spending his highschool life there and played for the varsity high school volleyball team where he met my mom during a day at the beach. She played beach volleyball - hence, why I enjoy beach volleyball too - and my dad fell in love. But my mom always had plans on moving to Sendai so that maybe one day her kids could go to a very good powerhouse school for volleyball.

But my Auntie - the eldest - fell in love there as well. Taking the surname of her husband which was Katsuki. They had a child way before my dad even got married and named him Katsuki Yuuri. I googled him as well as he won silver in the Grand Prix Finals for skating and was now achieving to try again for gold. According to the source, he was dating his coach Viktor Nikiforov who was from Russia. I personally thought that the two of them looked cute together, and I mentally congratulated the couple in my head as I dug into more research. He was the oldest out of all of us as he was turning 24 soon. Meaning that he was 8 years older than me!! Wow.

My 3rd aunt ended up moving to Tokyo,in which she got the last name Fujiwara, naming her child Takeru Fujiwara who went to Honan Academy on which he took part of a sport in which they called Stride? I have never heard of it before, But maybe the Nekoma volleyball members have. He was my age and he seemed a lot like my brother, just with glasses. I read his profile on one of the sports catalogs online, saying that he was cool and stoic. Kind of like my brother.