Chapter 21: Friends

The strong wind brushed through my soft skin. The sun shone brightly as it was positioned mid-way through the sky. The weather was wonderful today, perfect for a nap. Students were happily chit-chatting with their friends, whilst some were busy eating. It was your typical school day, except it was Monday today.   

I was peacefully sitting with my back resting at the wall beside the door. If you were wondering where I was, well let's say I decided to spend my lunch at the rooftop. It wouldn't hurt to have some alone time now, wouldn't it? Jimin had a schedule too.

The scenery was indeed relaxing. I could finally rest my mind, after three consecutive long tests and such. I did not study too, I totally forgot that we had exams today. But I'm not Son Chaeyoung for nothing!

You... Probably know what I did. He he he he.

I was still enjoying my alone time when suddenly, a person sat beside me. Surprised by their sudden appearance, I quickly jolted. My gaze shifted to see who the person was, only to find a girl who was quite unfamiliar.

Do I know her?

Of course not.

"A penny for your thoughts?" The girl asked.

I deliberately shook my head. "N-No, it's nothing."

She beamed a wide smile before offering her hand to shake. "I'm Kim Yerim, but you can call me Yeri if you want."

"I'm Son Chaeyoung." I gladly shook hands with the girl named 'Yerim.' "Are you new? I've never seen you here."

Yeri lightly nodded her head and hummed in response. "Yeah, I am. I recently moved to this town. I don't have that much friends because some of them are a few years older than me." She chuckled bitterly.

"Oh, is that so? It's always hard to make friends, real ones at that." I patted her back in reassurance. "But don't worry, we're friends now, aren't we?"

She quickly gaze to my direction, completely shocked with what I have said. She regained her composure and beamed a wide grin. "Mhm!" She hummed cheerfully.

Now that I think about it, her features are great. I was close enough to see her facial features. She had these eyes that could capture anyone's heart, cringey, but it's true. Her nose was pointed and her cheeks were chubby-ish, which complimented her beautiful face.

I'd be gay for her if I didn't have a boyfriend to be honest.

"So what brought you here?" I asked. Surely, she had a reason for staying at such a lonely and calming place. I mean, I had one and it was a legit reason too.

Yeri remained silent for a few minutes before she began to talk. "Life's been super unfair. I just wanted to have some fresh air and forget about everything, even if it's just for a moment."

That took me aback. I never thought a girl with a beautiful smile was going through a lot. You can never judge a book by its cover after all. Everything's just a facade. If you don't delve in deeper, then you'll never know their true colors.

"Oh." Was the only word I could utter. There's always a tragic experience behind a smile that bright. Or maybe I'm just assuming things? I don't know, we barely know each other so I have no rights in asking her.

Yeri chuckled bitterly. "Yeah." There was a pregnant silence afterwards. The atmosphere became awkward real quick.

A few minutes passed and I had enough of the awkwardness so I decided to speak. "So, what class are you in?"