Just Three Little Words

a/n: in this story im just making the university system thing up so yes i know it's incorrect lol (btw THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR 5k THIS IS FANTASTIC THANK YOU)

Over the few weeks that followed the incident, Castiel had got his schooling back on track and passed all his entry-courses and was FINALLY on to the Art that he so enjoyed. The only problem with this was that he didn't have history with Dean anymore (which, in fact, might have been a good thing because it put a stop to the distracting eye sex mid-class.) The two illicit lovers had been spending almost all their free time together, getting to know each other and finally making it up to the lake they'd planned to go to before. They would spend evenings cooking dinner together, watching crappy television and all in all being unable to keep their distance. Castiel barely spent any time in his dorm anymore, which was just as well considering the amount of time that Sam spent there in his place. Over the days and weeks as Cas's bruises and scratched up palms healed, they all pretty well managed to put the incident in the past and the more time Dean and Cas spent together, the more they realized that they had come to depend on each other, feeling that one was not themselves without the other. Some lark that was, a teacher falling for a student and vice versa.

One evening, the four friends (Dean, Cas, Sam and Gabriel) were sitting in Dean's dining room on a Sunday night as usual, eating what was another home-cooked supper by Dean and Cas when Gabriel broached the subject over a mouthful of green beans.
"So do you guys have like a plan in place for what you would do if you got caught?"
Castiel blanched, his fork stopping halfway to his mouth.
Dean frowned, looking like an angry dad.
Sam did what they were all thinking and smacked Gabriel on the back of the head.
"What?!" Gabe exclaimed petulantly. "Honest question!"
"Gabriel you have absolutely no knowledge of when to say what do you?" Sam said, it wasn't exactly a question.
"I was just asking! I mean look at them, they're practically the neighbourhood gay couple! They cook dinner together, they're obscenely affectionate, they practically LIVE together..." No one seemed to be following what Gabe was saying. "For christ sakes! Castiel is wearing a friggin checkered pullover! Dean's got on a pair of tan suit pants and loafers!"
"Hey! I only wear this for Sunday dinner!" Dean retorted quickly, face flushing.
Castiel stared at his plate.
"Gabriel," Sam sighed sounding exhausted.
Everyone was fairly calm, except Castiel, his fists were shaking, his knuckles turning white. When he spoke, the calmness in his voice surprised him.  "If we got caught?" He asked, his voice even, thin and dangerous.
Silence fell over the dining room.
"If we got caught!?" Castiel raised his voice, the volume of it surprising him. He stood up abruptly, his thighs banged against the table and the dishes clattered. He wasn't quite sure where all of this was coming from but suddenly he was very very angry.
"Cas," Dean said quietly, a soft but stern tone of warning in his voice. He wasn't listening.
"What Dean and I have-" his voice shook, "that is something pure and good and I hate the fact that we can't celebrate what we share, but don't for a moment speak of it as if it is something low-down and dirty to be done behind closed doors and in the dark." By the end of his little speech, Cas was leaning over the table, staring at Gabriel as his fists gripped the table cloth.
Gabe's mouth fell open with a little pop and Cas quickly excused himself and left the room.
The dining room was silent, everyone shared awkward glances.
"I um..." Dean stammered. "Sam can you clear the table for dessert, I uh, gotta go talk to him."
"Yeah sure," Sam said a bit too quickly, wiping his hands on his napkin and throwing it on the table as he stood up.
Dean left the room, calling out Cas's name.
"Good job asshat," Sam grumbled in Gabe's general direction.

***

Professor Dean Winchester found Castiel in his bedroom, seated on the edge of the bed, head cradled in his hands. Dean stood in the doorway, one arm resting against the frame, looking at his lover with an expression of mild concern. Over the weeks that they'd spent together Dean had learned that Cas was almost always reacting to events in extremes, fluctuating from upset to ecstatic and back again all within the shortest of time spans. The constant changes could be somewhat worrisome, but Dean realized that it was just a part of who Cas was and it didn't change how he felt about him. Not at all.
"Everything okay honeybee?"
Cas looked up at him, his eyes bright vivid blue, his cheeks shining with a few tears gone astray. "Yeah, I'm sorry, I'm just stressed I guess... I don't really have a good excuse and I didn't mean to make a scene." Castiel groaned in frustration, "I must be so embarrassing, I don't know why you keep me around."
Dean exhaled through his nose in a somewhat peevish manner, one thing that did annoy him about Cas was that the kid was always bringing himself down if no one else was doing it for him. "Cas when are you gonna figure out that I'm with you, I want to be with you, you make me crazy. I don't even know myself without you anymore." He came and sat beside him on the bed, putting a comforting arm around him.
Castiel didn't say anything.
"Look baby, I know you're tired. I know that you're sick of having to hide the way you feel. Believe me I understand, all I want to do is show you off to the world and rub it in everyone's face how lucky I am to have you, it kills me that I can't."
"I shouldn't have snapped like that," Castiel murmured, swinging his legs over Dean's knees and cuddling up to him.
"It's okay baby, its alright," Dean hushed, loving how close they were. He lifted Castiel's chin up, so their eyes would meet. "We've both got a couple days off coming up, what do you say to you and I going off somewhere? We could go far away from here, walk the streets together, go out on the town in the evening, and we wouldn't have to worry about who sees us. Do you like the sound of that?"
Castiel smiled, his eyes shimmering. "I would love that Dean."
"Good," Dean smiled. "Then that's what we'll do," and then he pulled Cas closer to him and pressed his lovely plump lips to his own and Castiel kissed him back.

Later that evening, after Sam and Gabriel had left, they were both laying in bed together staring at the ceiling. Dean had his arm around Castiel, and was using his free hand to play with Cas's hair. He was thinking about how much he'd like to go further than just making out with his boyfriend, sure they slept in the same bed and they'd gotten kind of "hot and heavy" before but they'd never really "consummated" their relationship. Dean was okay with it, there was more to a relationship than just sex, and he would never want to force anything on Castiel but damn it would be so nice. Oh my wouldn't it be SO nice to leave some pretty bruises on that boy, to feel him... to hear how he sounded when - no... It would be be so much better to be Cas's little bitch instead of the other way around, let Cas leave the bruises on Dean! Dean grinned to himself, oh yes now that would be golden- he didn't like to admit it but he liked being dominated he liked being--
"Dean?"
Dean opened his eyes suddenly, a little bit annoyed at the interruption by the little angel with his head on his chest.
"What is it?" Dean asked quietly into the dark.
"What would we do... you know, if we got caught?"
Dean stared up into the darkness, looking at it as if it was deep, unending and went on forever. He pulled his arm tighter around Castiel, his inappropriate thoughts already long forgotten, "That depends on what you'd want."
"What do you mean?" Cas asked softly.
"Well if it was brought to the attention of the right people, I would lose my job and quite possibly get in a lot of trouble..." the statement hung in the air, heavy as a stone. "So if you wanted to stay in school then we'd probably have to never see each other again."
There was silence for a long time after that, and suddenly Dean felt a wetness on his bare chest which he realized were Cas's tears.
"I'd never want to be without you," he whispered.
Dean pulled him closer and Castiel turned to wrap his arms around Dean's body. "It's okay baby, I'm not going anywhere."
"You're risking it all, we are risking it all. Dean you could lose everything," Castiel sounded tense and worried, like this was something that was always on his mind.
Dean's voice went from a whisper to a normal volume, and his tone turned serious. "There are only three things in this life that I truly give a fuck about. One of these things is my car, and she's paid for, there isn't a force on earth that could take her away from me. The second one is my family, and family don't go away, even if you want them to. And the third one, baby, is you," Dean smiled and let what he'd said sink in for a moment. "These things are everything to me, so no, I'm not risking it all, because happiness don't have everything to do with owning a house and having a job. It has to do with the things you love, with the people that you love. So they can go ahead and drag my name through the mud, they can go ahead and make it impossible for me to get a job anywhere, but they can never take my love away."
Castiel breathed softly, "Dean."
"Don't be afraid sugar, we've got nothing to be afraid of."
Castiel fumbled for Dean's fingers and gripped them tightly in the dark. "Dean," he said again softly, before his words started to tumble over themselves, "I think I... I th- I think that I love you."
Dean's heart skipped and he felt his face grow hot, in seconds he'd pulled Cas close and pressed a quick urgent kiss to his lips. His breaths came quickly and his dazzling smile was almost visible in the dark bedroom. "Honeybee, I think that I love you too."