Part 2

"What is it?" Stevie asked, putting down her cup of coffee. "I can hear you thinking, Linds."

Putting down his fork, Lindsey reached for his glass of water and took a sip. He knew she didn't like talking about it. "Have you taken a test?"

She knew that was the thing on his mind. Sighing, she shook her head. "Can we not talk about this over breakfast?"

"You never want to talk about it."

"I wonder why that is."

"You shouldn't get so upset. We've only been trying for a couple of months."

"Trying..." Stevie clenched her fist. "I hate that word."

"Well, it's what we're doing. We're trying to have a baby, Steph." Lindsey reached out to take her hand, loosening her tightened fingers.

"I just... I don't feel like it's going to happen anymore. I'm too old, Lindsey. Maybe if I had taken better care of myself over the years, if I hadn't had those abortions... But it's the reality. I have to accept it."

"But I don't want to accept it. I believe that we're meant to be parents together, Stevie. We're both a lot healthier than fifteen years ago. We don't drink, we don't smoke, we're eating better. We're doing everything the doctor has told us so our chances are better."

"What if Lindsey?" She asked, looking him straight in the eyes. "Tell me, if we keep on trying and I don't get pregnant, what then? You'll still love me the same? You'll still want to be with me?" Her voice was only a whisper. "You'd be a wonderful father..."

"Of course I'll still want to be with you." Growing quiet, Lindsey took a moment, before he gave her hand a squeeze and a half smile. "You're the only woman I've ever wanted to have kids with, Steph. If after a while we're not expecting a baby, then I'll accept it, but you can't give up now. Not yet."

"Have you thought about what the band would say if it happened? We reunited after such a long time for what, a show? One show?"

Shrugging his shoulders, Lindsey shook his head to emphasize. "We haven't agreed on anything else yet. Sure, we vaguely discussed touring, but nothing's official yet. After we make our comeback if we find out, we're going to be parents, I will tell Mick I'm done with the band again. Happily. You and a family with you is what I want, Steph. Nothing else matters to me more."

Smiling sadly, she brushed her thumb over the back of his hand. She rested her chin on her clenched fist and stared at nothing in particular for some time and Lindsey didn't push her to say what was on her mind.

"I don't have any more tests left."

"That's surely not a problem." Lindsey's smile widened. "I'll finish breakfast and go buy some."

"I'll go with you, I think. I want to leave the house." Stevie said, to which Lindsey nodded his head.

They ate in comfortable silence, Stevie then washed the dishes, while Lindsey went to change out of his pajamas. When he was climbing down the stairs, Stevie passed him going up.

"I'll shower quickly."

"Sure." He gave a nod and went back to the kitchen for another cup of coffee while he waited.

Knowing Stevie, her quick shower would take twenty minutes at least. With his coffee in one hand, Lindsey went to the living room and took a seat on the couch. He reached for the remote and turned the TV on. He didn't expect to find anything he'd enjoy watching, but he needed to pass the time.

Just under half an hour later, Stevie descended the stairs in her robe, drying her hair with a towel. "Quick, huh?"

"Oh, hush." She rolled her eyes. "I won't take longer than another hour." She joked (possibly). "Christine called yesterday. She wanted to meet for lunch. Will you be joining us?"

"No, I don't think so. I won't be able to get a word in anyway."

"Oh, come on, Linds. Don't be like that."

"I'm only kidding." Lindsey got up and kissed her on the cheek, taking his dirty cup to the sink. "I'll join you if you want me there." He yelled from the kitchen.

"Good!" Stevie replied, raising her voice a bit too, before she returned to the bedroom to finish getting ready.

Minutes after she climbed the stairs, Lindsey heard the doorbell. They weren't expecting anyone, especially at this time, it was still rather early. Unlocking the front door, Lindsey saw a man, someone he had never seen before in his life.

"Hello. Can I help you with anything?" Lindsey asked, holding onto the door handle with one hand.

"I'm looking for Stevie. I'd like to speak to her."

"I'm sorry, but who are you?" Lindsey was confused, his eyebrows slightly creased.

"Is Stevie here?"

Hesitating for a moment, Lindsey turned towards the staircase. "Steph! Someone's here to see you." Lindsey was almost sure he heard the man scoff.

Shortly, Stevie reappeared and when she came face to face with the person, her heart stopped for a second. "D-David? What are you doing here?"

"Is that all you can say to me after all this time?"

"Steph, who is he?" Lindsey looked between the two, his eyes then focused on Stevie.

Her mouth had gone dry and it took her a moment. "David is... he's my husband."