Part 3

"Wait, Lindsey! I can explain!" Stevie pleaded, grabbing Lindsey by the hand, but he recoiled from her touch.

"No!" He shook his head, pointing a finger at her. "I don't want to hear anything you have to say right now!" Lingering, Lindsey stared at Stevie a moment longer, in utter disbelief, then stomped out through the door that was still open.

Stevie teared up, but she couldn't cry, not in front of David. She took in a deep breath, her eyes following Lindsey's car out of the driveway. She then faced her husband. "You just had to show up like that, didn't you?"

"Well, why not?" David shrugged, not fazed by what just happened. "I've always thought talking to someone face to face is better."

"Why are you here anyway?" Stevie crossed her arms over her chest. 

"Let me in and I'll tell you."

The nerve! "You're not staying for long." Stevie said, before she stepped aside and David entered the house. She wasn't about to take him further, as she remained standing in the hallway. "So?"

"I've always thought you're the most beautiful without any makeup."

Clicking her tongue, Stevie sighed in annoyance. "Honestly, I couldn't care less what you think."

"Not that long ago you were in love with me." He said, leaning against the wall. "You don't have to be so hostile, you know. I'm not here to break you and Lindsey up."

"Oh?" Stevie laughed dryly. "Didn't you see him storming off five minutes ago?"

"He's always been a man child. If he had let you speak, he could have stayed."

"Don't talk about him like that." Stevie warned, to which David smirked and chuckled. "Just for the record, I was never in love with you."

"Whatever you say." David shrugged his shoulders, his hands in the front pockets of his jeans. Stevie hated how casual he was about it. She hadn't seen him for nearly a year and there he was, as if they were still living together.

"Can you please get to the point already?" Stevie's patience was wearing thin. She wanted him out of her home.

Becoming more serious, David stood up straight. "You're serious about divorce, aren't you?"

"What gives you that idea?" Stevie asked, her voice dripping with sarcasm.

"I thought you'd come back, I really did. I know I made a mistake, I told you I'm sorry and I am. Some time and space, I thought that was enough for you and eventually you'd come back to me."

"I walked out almost a year ago, David. How much time and space do you think one needs?" 

"Stupid of me, I know. I was hopeful." David sounded sincere, he took a step closer to her. "Have you forgiven me?"

"We're not getting back together." Stevie shook her head. 

"That's not what I asked. Believe it or not, I was in love with you. Maybe... still am." Another step closer. "I don't want to live my life, knowing you hate me."

Sighing, Stevie cast her eyes down on the floor, hugging herself around the middle. "I don't hate you. You're not the first man to cheat on me."

"Don't say that, please... I was hurting. I didn't know how else to deal with it."

"And it's still what happened." Stevie gave a shrug of her shoulders and made some distance between them. David was getting too close to her. "Why are you here, David?" Stevie repeated her previous question.

"I came here to tell you that I've signed them. I've signed the divorce papers." Sadness in his voice. 

Stevie felt relieved. She'd be relieved and happy if Lindsey hadn't met her soon to be ex husband. "Thank you. But you could have called me about it."

"I wanted to see you." David admitted, closing the gap between them once again. "I've missed you. Have you missed me? At all?"

She had missed David, she really had. That was until Lindsey came back into her life. "No."

"No?" David raised an eyebrow, his chest almost pressing against hers. "Don't lie."

"I-I..." Stevie stuttered, feeling his arm around her back, his hand in her hair. He tilted his head to one side more and leaned to capture her lips, but right before he did, Stevie pushed at David's chest. "No. I haven't missed you." 

Admitting defeat, David nodded his head sadly. "I see. Well. I best be on my way then, I guess."

"Please." Stevie asked, opening the door for him. "Thank you for agreeing to divorce, but please, don't come here again. Don't contact me. Don't come looking for me."

"Goodbye, Stevie." He offered her a weak smile and she slammed the door shut as soon as David stepped outside.