Grim guard : another prison guard story

Prison guard 2

Alec leaned gently against the cold grey prison wall, waiting, watching the small string of white puffs leave his lips. He did his best to remain calm, occasionally glancing around the corners of the prison. He made sure that he wasn't seen by anyone. In an attempt to ease his anxiety, his eyes travelled to the crescent moon, which positioned itself to look like a haunted smile. Along with the chilling air that brushed against the prisoner's alert skin, the night sky seemed to laugh at him, knowing the danger that was to come. Alec grew impatient.

An easy pace of footsteps tip toed into Alec's ears. Turning around quickly, ready to pounce at any lingering prison guard, he came face to face with Mijo, his fellow escapee friend whom he had been waiting so long for. Mijo looked pale, as if he had seen death himself.

"Are you sure that you want to do this?" Mijo whispered. "You heard the legends man, of the 'Grim Guard'?" With each word, Mijo's voiced trembled in fear.

"He's not real you coward. Let's go. You're wasting time," Alec said sternly. Reluctantly, Mijo followed him into the night. They followed their escape plan to climb through a secret tunnel that they had been digging for weeks. Once they arrived, they were disappointed with the sight of a closed tunnel.

"Aw come on! The guards found it!" Alec shouted in frustration. His plan was ruined.

"I'm telling you man, it's the Grim Guard. His ghost will foil and kill any prisoner who tries to escape the prison," Mijo tugged furiously at his black hair. He stared wildly at Alec. "you're gonna die man! He's gonna kill you! Oh lord!" Alec fanned off Mijo, signalling him to shut up. Mijo glared darkly at him.

"Stop with your nonsense about that dead guard. We will have to take another way," Alec grabbed Mijo's hand and headed for the top of the prison building, where they would jump off the building, over the fence and to their freedom.

As they walked, Alec listened to the agitated rustle of the nearby trees. His boots sounded like gun shots in the silence of the night. Mijo was unusually quiet. Listening, Alec soon realized that their boots were depleting in pulse. Slowly fading away until he only heard himself walking. It became quiet with only the wind singing lullaby songs to the sleeping earth.

A slash disturbed the wind's song followed by a thud. Alec stopped abruptly. Fear's icy fingertips glazed across his trembling neck. He spun around but saw nothing. Letting out a relieved sigh, he turned to laugh at a surely scared Mijo. His body instantly went cold with fear. He fell to the floor screaming as he stared at the silhouette of a decapitated, crimson stained body, of a poor nearby guard, that stood upright, dripping in blood, looming over Alec. Alec got screeching and ran.

He turned the corner and immediately bumped into something hard and fell. His eyes were afraid, looked up and greeted the dark figure before him. It's orange uniform was dripping in freshly cut blood and its smile. It had a smile that sent Alec's body death cold.

A crescent moon, haunted smile that laughed with all the monsters and danger that roamed the darkness, happy at the success of its betrayal. The last thing Alec saw, was the figure's knife, raised high in the air, dripping with blood that shimmered in the unforgiving moonlight.

"Listen to warnings Alec," Mijo's sinister smile grew hungrier for blood." It just might save your life".