Damn

Justin ⚑

We were nearly fifty miles away from the house when the gas light came on, I didn't know this area that well but I knew enough to get us back to New York. I looked over at Calise and shook my head, I told her a while ago she could've laid back and relaxed but she insisted on sitting up alert as ever.

"We gonna need gas soon" I said focusing on the sign we were passing.

"Another five miles, think we can make it" She said looking up at me.

"We should" She nodded her head and pulled on the end of her jacket, I put my finger on the passenger window button and rolled up her window. "Thank you"

"So where am I taking you when we get to New York" I said trying to ease her mind.

"To my house, I really hope my house isn't all over the place" She paused in the middle of her sentenced and laughed.

"But we can't go back right now" She continued. I threw her a confused look before pulling into the old fashioned gas station.

"What the hell do you mean we can't go back right now. That's where we're safe, that was our plan" I raised my voice. The hell was she talking about.

"The first place they gonna look is back in new york, I been looking at the signs as we passed, we were in New Haven which means we have to drive through Fairfield and West Chester to get back to the city, so I figure we could lay low in West Chester for like a week" She explained out the window as I pumped gas. I couldn't deny, the plan made sense.

"Thats cool and all but we only found sixty three dollars in the house and we just spent twenty-two of it" Her face dropped when I reminded her of our limited finances. I got back in the car and got back on the road, it was quiet for a while before she gasped.

"I got some extended family that loves me in West Chester hopefully they still live there" She said like she had solve the puzzle.

"Bet, if you can remember the way just guide me, or do you wanna drive" I said.

"Yeah I will probably remember better if i'm behind the wheel" She said. I nodded then pulled over on the side of the road. We both got out the car and walked to the opposite side, I grabbed her and kissed her lips before going to the passenger door and getting in.

When I opened my eyes it looked to be the wee hours of the morning. I rubbed my hand over my face and stretched to the best of my ability. I looked out the window and nodded my head, West Chester wasn't as country as I thought. I flipped opened the phone and pressed a button, Nothing. I rolled down the window and threw it out since it had no use anymore. Calise looked over and told me that the house was closed I simply nodded and stayed quiet knowing my breath was probably hot.

We pulled up to a simple yellow ranch styled house and parked by the mailbox. I waited for her to get out before I made by move. "This is it for sure" She said nodding her head and walking up to the front door. She looked in the glass window before reaching up on the other side and ringing the doorbell. Whoever lived here had to be old because the doorbell jingle was a long drawn out christmas song.The door opened and a small elderly lady smiled causing us to smile in return.

"Mamá, cómo has estado?" (Mama how have you been"  Calise sung out reaching her arms out to hug her.

"He estado bien, cómo has estado?" (I've been fine, how are you)  The lady cheesed while responding back in spanish. She looked over then held out her arms to hug me also. She stepped to the side and let us in her house.

"No me puedo quejar" (I can not complain)  Calise responded

"Qué te trae a mi casa y dónde están mi hijo y mis nietos? El es uno?" (What brings you to my house and where is nephew?) She asked excitedly. Whatever she said seemed to be the funniest thing to Calise.