➳chapter fifteen➳

Finn's point of view

Nick had promptly slapped me when I told him the story. I didn't really care, I saw it coming anyway.

"Look, I love you, but you are a major dick so screw it, I'm not helping you."

I went to protest his decision but he gave a pointed look. "If you don't fix this I'm telling Mom and Dad you were the reason the school sent home suicide prevention flyers."

I had forgotten about that. I felt a pang in my chest at the reminder. I knew it was my fault but Nick didn't have to rub it in.

"Bright side is, at least you'll never make a bet again."

Oh see, that's where, unfortunately, you are wrong.

I withheld that statement and let him leave.

It felt like all my insides had melted when I stepped foot inside the school the next day. I mean, I know a lot of shit happens but does it have to be an every day occurrence?

Sadie dragged me over to the lockers. I let out a breath when I noticed Jack wasn't there yet.

"So, how's it going with Carson?"

Right. Carson.

I thought about telling them the truth then and there. Just a few simple words, "I'm dropping out of the bet."

Instead, I asked "how much is he again?"

Noah smirked and clapped me on the back. "Twenty bucks each."

Wow. Okay. Hello, Carson.

"I dmed him last night. Trust me, I'll have him for sure by the end of the month."

Carson isn't...so bad. He's big. Strong. Has a...nice face. He looks like a good enough fuck.

(Nothing compares to Jack, right?)

A smirk crossed my face. No Jack means no guilt, right? It's not like he cares.

I winked at the group before making my way down the hall, letting my feet lead me to the bathroom.

Jack's point of view

"Okay, Jack, breath, it's just chemistry class, it's just chemistry class," I whispered to myself, splashing the cold sink water onto my face.

Life was so much easier when Finn was my boyfriend.

It's so simple to just sit on a crusty school bathroom floor and make out and call your boyfriend ratboy. It's so simple to make your way to class after such events with a smile on your face and then proceed to have fun with your friends.

You know what's not fucking simple? Having a cheating boyfriend who never even loved you. Crying in between every class because you had a fall out with all of your friends.

I really missed Finn. But I wouldn't let myself know I did.

I was staring at my red, blotchy, tear streamed face when the bathroom door opened and a pair of footsteps emerged but suddenly stopped. I quickly rubbed my face with my sweater sleeves and turned around.

"Oh."

I made to walk past him quickly. I'd rather have been in class with friends who hated me than with him.

The smirk he carried fell from his face."Please, Jack, talk to me," he whispered brokenly, grabbing onto my wrist. I stopped and turned around slowly. I had to force myself to face him, trying desperately not to look weak as a new set of tears streamed down.