➳chapter sixteen➳

Jack's point of view

"So what are you going to do?"

I looked at Wyatt with determination laced in my face, almost like a child trying to play serious would. "Avoid the school bathroom, meet you in chemistry, finish the day, and then go home."

Wyatt nodded with a smile, planting a light kiss on my forehead. Jaeden walked behind us with Sophia, talking animatedly about something.

My hands shook under the cover of my sleeves. We were still two blocks away from the school, but something drew me closer to the bathroom. Like a magnet. I wanted to go back to see what would happen.

I kicked a can across the sidewalk to distract myself from what happened the day before with Finn. I tried to distract myself from his lips, his hands, his strength and lure. It was hard.

My knees felt like they would collapse as the tall school building came into my line of sight. Maybe I was being extra about the whole thing, maybe I wasn't. Either way, anything that I did would end up badly for me.

Jaeden forced me to high five him unenthusiastically before they departed from me, making their way to the art room for early art club. I sighed, busying myself by bustling around my locker in search of something to occupy myself. I hummed when I found a pack of gum.

A hand grabbed mine and dragged me away, to stick of mint gum falling from the tips of my fingers. I frowned when the figure pushed me into the bathroom lightly and closed the door.

I looked up and scowled. "Finn! I was doing something!"

He rolled his eyes at me, blocking the exit. "I'll buy you more gum later. We need to talk."

Is he really getting annoyed with me?

That was what I was scared of. I knew that I'd end up back in the bathroom eventually, practically falling at his feet, but I thought I could at least make it past one day.

I sat on the floor next to him, dragging him down. I laid my head on his shoulder instinctively before taking it off with a wince. "Talk."

"I'm sorry."

I rolled my eyes, resisting the urge to punch him in the face. "I know that, and it's pathetic. Say something worth my time."

He turned to me with fire in his eyes. "If you know I'm sorry then why are you still mad at me?"

Boi.

"You cheated on me! And bet on me! I almost died!"

His eyes softened. "That was a stupid question. I just want it to go back to the way it was. That kiss the other day...I felt more alive than I had in the two months since you stopped talking to me. I miss you so much, Jack."

I laid my head on his shoulder hesitantly. It was quiet for a moment.

"I miss you too."

Though I made sure my voice was hardly above a whisper, his head didn't refrain from snapping in my direction. "So then come back to me, please, it's been so long."

I scoffed. "It's not that fucking easy."

"And why not?"

"Because you're an asshole."

Finn snorted. I ran my hands through my hair, letting him gently rest his hand on my thigh. "I want to be careful. I don't know if you've changed. You told me you did last time and look what happened."

"I...I guess. Can I ask you something?"

The bell rang in the back of my mind that screamed "No! No! No!" But did I care? Nope.

"Whatever."

Finn took in a shaky breath. "Why-why did you try to kill yourself?"

"No! No! No!"

"I didn't try to kill myself! I didn't want to end up in the hospital, I just wanted to...harm myself. God, everyone keeps asking the same shit! I swear they act like they know all about feeling like you're not good enough to be loved."

Finn jumped at the sudden anger and intensity held within my voice. "Sorry."

I made up my mind messily through the heat contained in my head. "Stop apologizing and just kiss me or something."

"W-what happened to being calm about it?"

I pretended to think about it for a moment before shoving my lips against his, wrapping my arms around his neck. He melted into me, gripping my waist and pulling me closer desperately. Our tongues smacked together and our lips moved sloppily, but I still couldn't hold myself back from loving it. The bell to class rang, but I didn't care.

Finn's point of view

A salty taste molded into our kiss, and I quickly realized that it was because of me. Jack pulled away and looked at me confused, and kind of disgusted, wiping his mouth. "Are-are you crying?"

Wasn't he being all soft, like, three minutes ago?

"Uh, yeah?"

"Why?"

My arms reached it and pulled Jack's face into my chest gently. I missed holding him like that. A lot. "I don't know. I told you, I miss you so much. I feel like-like that kiss was nothing. It was just because you're angry."

His body relaxed against mine and slumped with me. "I am angry. But it wasn't nothing, because I wouldn't just sell myself out like that because I was angry."

I pleaded, "Jack, can we please try again? I've changed myself, I promise."

"Maybe, Ratboy. But only if you let me list all of your mistakes and scold you thoroughly first. Then we'll see."

My heart thumped out of my chest. Maybe, Ratboy.