Chapter 31

I get up from under the table.
"Puissants?" I question.
"Yes, now get down," Luke directs, nervously.
"Anyway, we are here to make Puissants the only group with elementals. We are the only ones that deserve to be here, the only ones who did what was right!" Olivia shouts. She keeps the water monster stable by holding her hand out.
"In case you don't know what Puissants are..." Olivia begins, "they are Elementals that, one hundred years ago, were the original ones. We formed a group based after the word puissant-having great power- and that is that. When a puissant had a child, that child didn't like Puissant culture and so they made the National Elemental Group. And that is your history lesson for the day," she says.
Liam, who's beside me, gets up from under the table and pulls out a gun. I scramble up and stand in front of it.
"Stop!" I call.
"Zoey what are you doing?!" Liam yells.
"They're my brother and sister!" I shout.
"Yeah, she's our sister, why would you shoot your girlfriends siblings?" Olivia says, evilly.
I can't believe that's her.
Liam puts the gun down. I feel my heart beating out of my chest. My stomach is churning and nervous.
Ember stands up. She hold her hand up, producing flames.
"Stop, and you won't get burned!" She yells. I can hear the fear in her voice. I can't blame her. I was scared too.
Luke pulls out a squirt gun. A squirt gun?
It could have water...or the green liquid.
He shoots the squirt gun, sending a flow of the green liquid towards Ember.
Without a thought, I run and push Ember out of the way.
But I'm just a few seconds late.
Ember has some of the liquid on her arm.
"Are you ok?" I ask. She nods and gets up and shoots flames up.
The flames are higher, hotter, and brighter.
"Luke! It's making her stronger!" Olivia cries.
"Did you put in hydrogen instead of peroxide?" She shouts. He shrugs. "Did you?!"
And then out of nowhere he freezes her.
"I never wanted to do this, she threatened me! And Zoe, she's not our sister. She a puissant spy. The real Olivia, the one we grew up with, is..." he pauses, "a prisoner"
I let a breath go. I had a little fear she may be dead.
"And now what?" I ask him.
People start emerging from under the tables. Voices start rising. The water monster falls into a big pile of water, flooding the cafeteria. The fire elements quickly stand on the tables.
I quickly hop up the table, wanting my dress to stay dry.
"All the wind elements-dry it!" I yell. They do as told, and soon enough, the water drys up.
Everyone hops down.
"Now, we get her out of there. " Luke says pointing to the frozen girl."And get rid of Avery. That is Avery, she used her life power to disguise herself as Olivia." Luke explains. "And Liam comes"
Liam comes up behind me.
"Yeah, of course but I can't just...leave," he says. "I have a job,"
"Take family leave. It counts," Luke says.
They begin to talk about a plan as I glance at Avery, frozen in a box. Her disguise starts fading, revealing a girl with black hair and a pale face. Familiar.
"Hey," I interrupt, "what's Avery's last name?"
"Uh, Collins," Luke says.
"Oh no," I say.
"What?" Liam asks.
"Collins. If Avery Collins is a puissant that means...Ms. Collins, Kelly Collins...they are all Puissants," I whisper.