Chapter 2: Evil peace and performance

Mal's silhouette could be traced in the mirror; Jane was washing her hands, not being aware of the presence, but from the sudden change of air in the room. It felt warmer.

"Hello" Mal stepped closer, grinning. Jane lifted her head, she was able to see Mal's reflection now, and it made her shake with fear. She was completely alone with Maleficent's wicked daughter. Her jaw trembling and her skin felt sensitive, she turned slowly. Mal's eyes had a shin to them.

"Hi..." She attempted to run away, trying to avoid Mal as much as she could, but the bathroom wasn't a big place, so Mal could stretch her arm and hold hers, trapping it in a grid. She looked back at the purple-haired girl, eyes open wide and full of fright.

Mal was still smiling, and the shin had become an actual glow; a green clear glow, so imperceptible that Jane thought she was going crazy.

"I didn't mean to scare you" She said, as if they didn't have just stand in silence for a good while "I just want a friend, but, silly me, sure you have enough of your own, being principals daughter and all" Mal's eyes fall down, glancing to the floor, loosening her fingers that were around Jane's well-ironed sleeve. Her bottom lip was shaking a little, making her look like a puppy, a sad puppy.

Jane felt sorry for her.

"I don't have any, actually" As she felt empathy and pity for Mal, she pitied herself as well; at least Mal was pretty, stylish and skinny, and had acquaintances, unlike her.

"What? But if you a so smart AND headmistress daughter, and, don't you have magic also?"

Jane searched for any scrap of mischief in Mal's eyes, just in case. But she couldn't find any, as she was so good hustling and laying.

"Well, I don't really know, my mom doesn't use magic anymore" She sighed "But I would sure love to, that way, I could be beautiful" Mal smiled comprehensibly, now suddenly with a book in her hands. Her grin and glow were back, her finger skimming through the pages, searching for something.

"Here," She said, now directing her eyes to a very flushed Jane. She flicked her finger at the rhythm of her words "Beware, forswear, replace the old with brand new hair" Jane felt a spark, nothing like she had felt before. It was warm and made her fluster even more. Mal felt it too, and she loved it.

Jane looked herself in the mirror, now with long chocolate shiny curls, instead of her old black flat frizzy hair. She glanced over at Mal, teary-eyed, a smile full of joy. Mal couldn't help but smile, Jane sure looked happy.

"Now, I know it's not a lot, but is an improvement, isn't it?" Mal moved her hair out of her face.

She felt something trapping her and was about to punch it when she realized it was Jane hugging her. No one had hugged her in years, if ever. She cleared her throat. "I'm not that good at magic, not like your mom"

Jane looked at her and the hope drained slowly from her eyes.

"My mom would never make me beautiful" She tried to hide her sad face.

"That's it!" Jane startled at Mal high pitch voice "Make that face, use the tricks old Cindy use. Play smarter" She whispered the last part, grinning. Then she leaned back, waving her hand.

"If your mom decides to be fair, y'know, pick the old wand up, you could, maybe, invite me"

"Yes Mal, I will do that for sure. Thanks" Mal poured a very awkward you're welcome, holding the gagging noise.

Jane ran out of the bathroom, excited to show her hair, it was like Mal said, not a lot. But for her at that moment, it meant the world.

"Ben, are you paying attention?"