Chapter 10: Sea salt candy

"This is disgusting," Mal said, stirring the black goo with the tip of her finger. Uma chuckled, hoping it will hide the fact she wanted to throw up really bad and her eyes were becoming watery.

"Kinda looks like your hair" Uma teased, hugging Mal's waist from behind, resting her chin on her shoulder "Black, lifeless"

Mal wasn't fond of physical contact, but she had come to terms that, with Uma, they were a given.

She used her elbow to hit Uma's stomach lightly.

"Shut up," She said, rolling her eyes. She wiped the goo from her finger in her jacket.

"Why don't you wear it purple again?" Uma leaned against a tube, crossing her arms.

Actually, Mal's hair wasn't black, despite being the color of the dye she used. Not even raven black could take down her purple hair. No one noticed, but it was really dark purple, like the pictures of the universe Yen Sid had shown in class.

But in the isle the sun was so washed down by the gloomy clouds it always appeared black.

"I was Mim's girl twin," Mal said bitterly, placing a hand on her hip and twitching her nose, remembering her first proper minion.

"You took care of that" Uma moved herself to be in front of Mal. She smiled, Mal had burned Mad Maddy's scalp with lye and destroyed everything the little girl cared for. Uma moved Mal's long lock behind her ear "I see no need to get rid of your hair too"

"I didn't look evil enough" Mal remembered the derogative look in her mother's eyes. It's not like the change had helped with that.

"You sure did" Uma jumped, creeping around the drum of goo "Even as a child, you were intimidating, dangerous, cunning"

Mal chuckled, walking to the other end of the drum and, peeking beneath her, placed both of her hands at the edge.

"Since when you're good at compliments?" Mal eyed her, a sly smirk on her lips.

Uma tilted her head, carefully evaluating the situation, in case it was a trap.

"I'm good at being brutally honest, for better or for worst" She moved her silky teal hair to her back, getting it out of the way, and slid her hands at the edge of the drum, mirroring Mal "Now let's put the sea witches back in their place"

They glanced down, the particularly nasty group was slouched, gossiping and giggling with their horrid voices.

Mal smiled and applied some pressure on the metal container. She had never been to that part of the school. But when Uma suggested this scheme, Mal was glad to go out of her way to make it happen.

They pushed harder and all the goo fell on tops of the three grayish heads.

The most horrendous and shivering squeak pierced through their ears, but they didn't mind. They laughed as they found the way out of the maze of tubes and metal that was the ceiling.

Those witches hadn't whined that annoyingly since their fifth teen birthday, when Uma had pulled a similar stunt.

Even twelve hours later, when night had fallen and the isle was even darker, Mal was still jumpy and exhilarated.

She walked to the mirror after getting dressed, a smile spread across her face, in any other person, it would make them look friendly and approachable, but Mal, she looked crazy and unpredictable.

She adjusted her vest one more time before running to the street, not paying any attention to her mother -eating spoiled grapes on the balcony, screaming to her henchmen-.