Chapter 16: When love doesn't equal weakness

Maleficent spun on her heel, moving her scepter at her daughter and reaching the wand midway towards her. The grin on her face was pleased and relaxed, like years have been lifted off of her shoulders, and they probably had.

With magic, anything is possible, Mal thought.

The burlesque act Mal knew growing up was almost gone. Maleficent's eyes glowed greener than ever, in a neon intensity, her horns stood dangerously high, her voice now was richer and her figure statuesque; a tallness her daughter had never seen, nor inherited.

"Well, well, well" She walked over to Audrey, who was protecting her mother and grandmother, even if she was full of fear "I guess you thought you'll never see me again, did you, Leah?" Maleficent made a fake pout before winking her eye to Aurora "I should make you prick your finger again, shouldn't I?" The tip of the wand touched her bottom lip as she pretended to think about it. She moved it and Aurora fainted, falling to the floor where her daughter caught her, a frightened expression in her eyes and a painful whine leaving her lips.

She dynamically turned toward Fairy Godmother, spinning the wand in her hand.

"Mom..." Mal cried out, not being able to soak up the tears.

"Oh pumpkin'" She pouted again "We can finally be together"

Maleficent lifted both her scepter and the wand, making creepers grow from the ground and make their way trapping all Auradon residents. Her favorite trick.

"Mom, I'm not evil!" Mal sniffled in an attempt to recover herself completely.

"Nonsense, I know I have big shoes to fill in, but you'll get there" She chuckled.

"Mom, you don't get it, I don't want to do that, not anymore, maybe not ever" She sniffled one more time "Love is not weak or ridiculous, its actually pretty amazing" Mal didn't know what she was talking about, all her thoughts were a mess, and she couldn't put them in place anymore. She just wanted her mother to understand.

"Frankly, this is tedious and immature" Maleficent waved her hand exasperated, her eyes lighting up again and her voice grew even deeper "I know one thing young lady, you have no room for love in your life"

"And now I command wand to my hand" Mal was a crying mess, but she was able to finally focus on what she needed to do.

The wand blew from her mother's hand, landing on hers with a buzz that went down her spine.

"This is ridiculous!" The well-put persona Maleficent had shown till now was gone, now it didn't contrast as much with the over sensitive form of Mal. Now they both looked on edge "Give me the wand! Give me the wand! Give me the waaand!" Her voice creaked in a groan at the end, purple smoke leaving her mouth in huffs.

Maleficent stopped her pacing, lifting an eyebrow. Mal knew she was in trouble.

"Oh nugget, listen to you mama now" Evil grin twirled the corner of her lips upwards "You want your full name, don't you?"

Carlos did a disgusted sound, flashbacks of how many times he had been beaten physically and emotionally by his mother flew to his head.

Mal lowered the wand, which was pointing at her mother until that second. She wanted to be worthy of her mother's love, probably more than anything.

"Mother knows best" She whispered to herself in a soothing manner. That was her phrase. Every time she doubted, every time she lacked the strength to do something, she reminded herself who she was, who her mother was.

Evie took Mal's free hand in hers, snapping her back to reality, now ashamed and fully aware she was about to give the wand back to her mother.

Carlos put one hand on her shoulder, nodding no.