Konoha

I finished my meal with the spoon last night. Akari said I'll be released today. My arm cuts weren't serious, and all I needed was a little rest. But I'm gonna miss her taking care of me. She was like a mother to me in this new world of mine.

Before I went on my way, I had to visit the person they call Hokage. From the little information I've gathered, that person must be the leader of the village.

Before Akari lead me to this person, I changed into the yellow dress I wore before and looked in the mirror. My light brown eyes stared back at me from the mirror. I combed and brushed my curled hair with the new hair tools Akari had brought me. The comb, brush, three changes of clothes, and a backpack were givens to me by her.

At the hospital entrance, I waved goodbye to Akari. I already know that I'm going to miss her. She was so kind.

I walked up to that guy from yesterday, Izumo. He greeted me with a warm smile and I returned the gesture.

"How are you?" he asked. "Are you doing better?"

"Yeah, I'm fine," I say quietly. "I'm ready to go now."

"Right, right."

Our walk made me see a little bit more of the village. All the markets and shops and the people are all active, even in the morning. I also notice how different it is from where I grew up.

Pretty soon, we reach a cylindrical building. Above it are four large faces that reminds me of Mount Rushmore. But those aren't the faces of American presidents.

After going up a few flights of stairs and walking down a hallway, we stop in front of a brown door, which I'm assuming is the Hokage's office.

"Well, you're on your own now," Izumo says. "Just walk through that door, introduce yourself, and follow the Hokage's orders. And don't disrespect him. Got it."

"Got it," I whisper. He nodded at me and held two fingers up and disappeared with a poof.

I jumped back slightly and stared at the spot where he once stood with wide eyes. Is that what people do here? Will I be able to do that? I have so many questions that I wish the Hokage will be able to answer.

After shaking my head, I knocked on the door and waited for a response.

"You may enter," I hear from behind the door. It sounds like an old man, probably 60 or 70.

I open the door halfway and peak my head inside a little to see the room I'm entering. I see a man sitting in a chair behind a large desk. I see his wrinkly skin from under his red and white hat. His robe is also red and white, and he has a smoke pipe in one hand.

I step completely into the room and close the door behind me. I walk to the middle of the room and stand there anxiously while deciding what to do.

"Um," I say nervously. Unsure of what to do, I curtesy with my dress and almost trip in the process. "Good morning Mister Hokage Sir."

I hear the old man chuckle, and he finally looks up and I see his dark eyes. "Good morning, young lady. What's you're name?" he asks in a kind voice.

"My name is Iris."

"Iris. Hm. What about your last name?"

"It-," I stopped mid-statement. I don't think I remember my last name. I could barely remember my mother's face. I could barely remember anything. "I'm not sure. I don't think I remember it."

The Hokage frowned a bit when I said this. He either feels sorry for me, or he's suspicious. I'd rather it be the first one.

"Interesting. Well, how do you like our village?" he asks with a warm smile.

"It's nice. It's very busy and stuff, but the people seem friendly."

"That's wonderful. Now, would you like to serve this village?"

"I-I don't know what you mean by serve. Like, in the military or something?"

"Exactly. Our village's military is made up of ninja, who serve and protect the village when they need to. They go on missions that helps the village and other people who need our assistance. Would you like to be a part of that?"

I furrow my eyebrows at him in confusion. Does he not see how young I am? I'm only a child and he wants to put me in the military. Is this considered normal here?

"I don't know," I say shakily. "I'm so young. I'm only twelve. I can't be a ninja. I- I'm not ready for that."

"I'm well aware. That's why we have a ninja academy for learners like you. The school will shape you to be the perfect ninja with great skills in taijutsu, ninjutsu, and genjutsu."

All this jutsu business. What the heck is all of that? And how does he just expect me to learn it?

"Mister Hokage, I don't know how I'm supposed to just learn all of that. I'm so confused. I've never even heard of that jutsu stuff before. I don't know what ninjas do. I don't know how to be a ninja. It's too dang-"

"Iris," the Hokage interrupted. "Just answer this simple question. Would you like to join the ninja academy?"

Should I say no? Should I say yes? I really do believe I'm too young to be fighting for and protecting a village, but then again, I would want to poof away and fly into trees and do all of that cool stuff I saw Izumo do. This is the the most difficult yes or no question I've ever had to answer.

"Uh, I guess so?" Close enough.

He smiled lightly and placed his pipe on his bottom lip. "Very well. I'll have someone prepare you for what's to come. For now, you will go to your new home and get settled in."

He reaches for a piece of paper and a set of keys and hands it towards me. I walk over to take it, and I can't read a single word on the piece of paper.

"Run along now. I'll be sending someone to help you with your preparations."

I'm a little too scared to tell him that I can't read this at all. I mean, imagine a twelve year old asking you to teach them how to read. It's kind of embarrassing.

I take a big gulp to swallow my pride and just ask him. "Can you please tell me what this says?"

He looked at me in confusion, but his eyes became sympathetic. "You're gonna need a little more learning and help than I thought you would."