Escaped

I think I'm dreaming right now.

I see a woman sitting in a corner on a small room, circled up into a ball. She looks at me for a moment, and her face looks like mine. But it isn't me. It's my mother.

"I had to do it," she whispers to herself. "She was born evil. My grandmother, she... she was one too."

She begins rocking back and forth, shaking her head vigorously. Streams of tears start pouring out of her eyes.

"But that was my baby," she says through her sobs. "My baby!"

She continues to scream. She rises to her feet and starts hitting her arms against the wall, screaming. "I want my baby back! I want her back!"

Two men dressed in all white burst into the room, each grabbing an arm of my mother. My poor mother. My feet felt planted to the floor. I wanted to help her, let her know I was right here, but in the blink of an eye I was somewhere else.

It was my old backyard.

My lifeless body was laying next to the pool. The summer dress was soaked along with my hair. My two brothers were kneeling over me, trying to bring me back to life. I guess it was too late.

"Why?!" a man yelled, holding my mother by her arms. It was my father. "Why did you do it?! Why?!"

"She was a witch," my mother answered, emotionless. "I saw her...one day, just floating...in her sleep. That's not normal, my love. I did what I needed to do. You have to understand... I had to..."

I stood there, even more petrified. My mother killed me, her own daughter, because she thought I was evil. My own mother didn't even want me around.

The scene changed again, to a church, with heavy rain beating down on its roof and windows. People in black were everywhere, some dabbing their eyes with tissues, hugging and comforting each other.

I finally found the strength to move my feet. I walked towards the open casket that a priest was standing over. I look and see myself there, dead. Pale, lifeless, dressed in a black.

I screamed at the top of my lungs, not knowing what else to do. Tears rushed down my face faster than ever before. I hit the ground, and woke up in a bed.

When I opened my eyes, I automatically knew where I was, as I have been here before. The hospital lights and soft bed sheets were all too familiar.

My heart was racing from the dream I had. No, the nightmare.

I sat up in the bed and looked to my right where I noticed someone had been standing. It was the pretty nurse who took care of me when I first got here, Akari. She stood there, with a tray of food in her hands.

She looked frightened of me. I tried my best to smile, to let her know I wouldn't hurt her. That I'm not evil, like everyone else thinks of me, but I couldn't.

She dropped the tray of food and ran out of the room in a split second. I took a sharp breath before a single tear fell down my face. I brought my legs to my chest and curled myself up into a ball.

I rested my face on my thighs and began sobbing uncontrollably, thinking about all of my mistakes. All the things I should've done differently. Or if I was a different person entirely, and not the monster everyone is afraid of.

I didn't know someone else walked through the door till I felt a comforting hand touch my shoulder. I look up and see that it's Aiko.

Her green eyes showed no fear, only comfort and assurance. "Hey there, kid," she said, speaking softer than ever before.