Suspicions

I swung open the entrance door, trudged over to the couch, and splattered myself into the cushions like an egg in a pan. It's been a long day.

"Well," Aiko says from the kitchen. "I'm guessing your firsts day didn't do too well, did it?"

"Nope," I reply, popping the 'p'. "At first it seemed okay. I met this nice girl named Hinata who lead me to the classroom, but then when we got here, this jerk named Sasuke or whatever underestimates me and just insults me in front of the whole class. And I got really mad and I ended up throwing a couple of girls into the wall. I don't necessarily feel bad about that part, but everyone ended up avoiding me for the whole day. And probably will for the rest of the school year."

"Awe, don't feel bad dear. You'll always have tomorrow to improve your abilities and to make friends."

"I think it's a little too late for that making friends part. I think I made that scared of me."

I frowned at the thought. It's cool to have the ability I have, but I don't want it to stop me from making friends with others. Aiko can't be the only person I talk to.

"Iris, come in the kitchen," Aiko ordered. I obeyed, and sat up from the couch and dragged myself into the kitchen. In there, there was triangular clumps of rice with little pieces of seaweed on it, and a plate of large cooked fish. It was homemade dinner!

"Oh, I knew I smelt something good. I didn't even know you cooked."

"Well of course I know how to cook," Aiko said, rolling her eyes. "I don't always eat takeout food and instant ramen. Now just sit down and eat."

She didn't have to tell me twice! I was already seated and eating my meal before Aiko sat down herself. But I did thank her for the food, of course.

"After dinner," Aiko starts. "we're going to be doing our training again. And you won't be behind the rest of your class- you'll be ahead of them. But, sadly, since it's a school night, we won't be training for long. Hm, bummer."

"Bummer? That's music to my ears! I don't have to suffer through through 16 hours of non stop training anymore!"

"Yeah, yeah. But just because the training time is shorter doesn't mean it won't be less intense."

"Oh, right." I think back to all the times she didn't have back anything and would end up punching me and kicking me so hard that I came home black and blue. I guess it was for training.

***

I was sad when dinner was over, because that just meant that I had to get beat up by Aiko again during training.

"Okay, Iris," says Aiko. We're once again facing each other on our regular training grounds. "Prepare yourself."

I've gotten used to getting myself in the proper taijutsu stance. My left arm and leg placed in front of my body, and my right arm and leg stayed behind it.

Aiko made her first move by launching her right fist at me. I quickly jumped to my left and took one step back. She then aimed a kick at me with her right leg, making me jump back to dodge it. My reflexes are getting faster.

But I have to work on my quick thinking, because I just cornered myself between two large trees and a big boulder behind me. Sweet niblets.

Aiko grasped her skull cane by the wood, and prepared to hit me with the silver of her handle. Oh god, you don't know how badly it hurts.

'Get away, get away, get away,' I thought to myself. I backed myself up into the boulder and watched her as she threw her arm back, preparing to swing her cane at me. My squeezed my eyes shut and prepared for the hit, but I heard Aiko gasp instead.

When I reopened my eyes, I was standing a few feet behind Aiko, but she was still in the same place- near the two big trees and the boulder. It's like she hadn't moved an inch.

I was baffled. How was it possible that I transported from one spot to another? What's going on with me? Am I actually capable of doing more things than I thought I could?

Aiko was just as startled and confused as me. She turned her body around slowly and stared at me with wide eyes. She dropped her cane to the ground.

"How did you do that?" Aiko asked. She slowly started approaching me. "Where did you learn that from? Did you use a jutsu? I didn't see any hand seals. How did that happen?"

I start shaking my head. "I don't know. I'm not even sure what happened, I didn't learn it from anywhere. I just, wanted to get away and then I appeared over here. I swear, I didn't do anything I wasn't supposed to."

Her face started to turn into a scowl, but I have no idea why. With a fierce attitude, she says, "We're done with our lessons for today. We'll continue another time. Go to the house, and stay there."

She retrieved her cane and jumped into the trees, vanishing in them. I don't even know why she's angry at me, but before I make her any angrier, I did as she said and started my walk home.

***

Aiko's POV

I went to the Hokage's office as fast as I could. Hiruzen was right about Iris. She could be a spy, trying to get her fingers on the village's jutsu and scrolls. How else could she have copied the Fourth's teleportation jutsu?

She must've modified it as well so she didn't use any kunai. But how could she have done under my supervision? Does she have inside help? Or is it a kekkei genkai?Either way, I have to tell the Hokage.

"Lord Hokage," I say as I enter through the door. "I apologize for the intrusion but what I have to tell you is urgent. It's about Iris."

Hiruzen sat in his regular spot behind his desk and had his smoke pipe in his mouth as usual. "Go on," he instructs.

"We were training earlier today, and she teleported. On her own. Without a special tool."

Hiruzen's eyes slowly expanded as he took his pipe out of his mouth. "What?"

I sighed. "I don't know how she did it, or where she learned it from. I can't tell if she's stealing this information or if she's doing it on her own. What should we do?"

The Hokage folded his hands in front of his face and rested his elbows on his desk. "Continue sending her to the academy. If she's a spy or an enemy we can't make her suspicious if we pull her out of her classes so suddenly. Continue training to see if she reveals anymore jutsu that she may know. I'll also have ANBU members watch her carefully to make sure she isn't doing anything when you're not around supervising her. Do you understand?"

"Yes, sir."

***

Iris POV

I went up to my room, opened the window by my bed, and rested my elbows on the window sill. I breathed in the fresh air and enjoyed the evening sky. The sunset looks just like the one I saw when I woke up in the hospital. I feel like a a lot has happened since that day.

My eyes wander around the landscape, and I notice a lifeless bird outside my window. I gasp and nearly fall backwards off of my bed.

I return toward the window and cradle the small blue bird in my hands.

"Oh no," I whisper to myself, melancholy like. I really wish I could bring this bird back to life. Innocent creatures don't deserve to die. Not by nature's hands, or by someone else's.

I cover the bird with my other hand and close my eyes to mourn the poor bird. After a few seconds, I could feel a small heartbeat in my palms and the felt the movement of the bird in my hands.

Being confused, I opened my palms to discover the blue bird moving its wings around. It was alive again, like nothing happened.

I stared at the bird in shock. Was this also my doing? What am I?