Fish

A couple days have passed, and we only have one more day to get the Heavens scroll so we could pass the exam. No pressure.

Sasuke and Naruto went to the river to get some fish while Sakura and I prepared a fire. I returned to our little campsite with a few more branches to add to the fire. I set them in place, then walked around it to sit beside Sakura on a log by the pile of fire wood.

"Great," she said, "Now all we need to do is light it. Sasuke! Can you use one of your fire balls to light the fire, please?!"

I looked back at the branches and thought about the book on witchcraft, and it said a witch could have the ability to create and control fire. I pressed my hands on my knees and leaned in closer to the branches. After staring intensely at the branches and imagining them light up in my head, a small flame arose. It proceeded to get bigger and bigger as the once small flame started to spread to the others branches.

I smile proudly to myself until I realized Sakura was looking at me, very confused. "How did you-"

She was interrupted by Sasuke appearing through the trees and bushes. He raised an eyebrow at the fire. "I though you said you needed my help."

"We realized afterwards that we didn't really need your help at all," I say quickly before Sakura could speak. "We figured it out on our own. You could head back to the river if you want."

Sasuke scowled at me before muttering under his breath about having to do all the work around here and people wasting his time.

Sakura looked back at me after Sasuke was no longer seen. "What was that? You started a fire without using jutsu or anything. It's like you just looked at it, then... then there was a fire."

"Okay, I know it's kind of weird, and I wish I could explain it to you, to all of you, but I just can't. Not right now at least."

"But why not? Are you a part of a secret clan or something, or have some forbidden ability of some sort? Are you... no, never mind."

"What?"

"It's nothing. I was going to say something ridiculous. But there's no way it could true."

I started to feel nervous. Sakura saw that book I was reading at the table back at the Land of Waves and she almost recognized the symbol. She saw what I did during the fight a few days ago, and she just saw me start a fire with my mind alone.

Sakura looked me dead in my eyes with the most serious expression. "Are you a witch?"

And that's when my body froze. Now she knows. Me taking too long to respond or not responding at all with make her even more suspicious, or will confirm her theory.

Her eyes widened, her seriousness now replaced with utter shock and disbelief. "Who else knows?" She asked. Before I could answer, Naruto and Sasuke came back with four fish in total.

They started piercing sticks through the fish; I turned to Sakura and placed my index finger over my lips, telling her to keep my secret a secret.

***

Sasuke and I went to the nearby river to fetch some fresh water for us and the rest of the group. The trip there was awkwardly silent since we had nothing to talk about, and because Sasuke seemed so tense about our current dilemma he was quiet.

We both put our containers into the river, waited for it to be filled, then began walking back to our campsite.

"Where are you from?" Sasuke asked suddenly, breaking the silence. It's weird that after all this time we've been teammates, he's just asking about where I'm from.

"Why do you ask?" I questioned back.

"Because you suddenly appeared in the village with no background information on yourself and you were put into the academy just about a week before our graduation. And now you're a part of a five man team, which is not a normal set up around here. It just doesn't make any sense. There's so much mystery behind you." I'm glad he didn't look up while saying all this because I could just tell that my face would only make him more curious. I know the story behind me just appearing in the village is odd, but I'm confused about the other things he said as well. Why did they throw and inexperienced child in with a graduating class who have more training than I do? And why did they make an exception with me and make Team 7 a five man squad?

He finally looked up at me and I turned away as fast as I could. I didn't know what to say so I just stayed quiet.

"Also, that fire you started back at our campsite. There were no scraps of what you used to start the fire around you, so that doesn't make any sense either. So, really, who the hell are you?"

My heart started beating uncontrollably and my breath was ragged. This is the second time in a day that I've been placed under a microscope and trying to be analyzed. I feel like my secret won't be secret for long.

I try to ignore his question and speed up my pace, but he catches up to me and grabs my arm. I guess that was stupid to do, since he's probably more suspicious than ever.

We were face to face and he just stared at me intently. I sigh, and say, "If I told you, you would laugh at me or think I'm lying. And if I told you about what I am, you won't look at me the same anymore. I just know you won't."

"You're being over dramatic. How bad can it be?"

He releases my arm from his grasp and places it in his pocket. Okay, what I'm about to do is very stupid, but one more thing you should know about me is that it's almost impossible for me to keep a secret. Even if it's mine.

With a heavy exhale, I let it all out.

"I'm from a country called the America, my mother drowned me in our backyard pool and I was reincarnated as myself but in your universe instead, and the reason a lot of weird things happened around me like me teleporting and starting a fire is because I'm..." I bring my voice down to a very low whisper and say, "...I'm a witch."

And Sasuke's face didn't change at all. "Oh please," he said in an aggravated tone. "At least make your story more believable."

He turned around and began walking back to the campsite, leaving me in the same spot, in a very puzzled state. He basically coerced that truth out of me, and when he gets it, he has the nerve to not believe me?!

Okay. That's fine. At least I didn't add one more person to the list of people who knows the truth.

Or so I thought. I heard rustling in the bushes, and I turn my head quick enough to see silvery hair glisten in the sunlight.