Chapter 1: The War

I only own Joanna McCarthy and her family.

All else belongs to C.S. Lewis.

This is a PeterxOC story.

---

There was no sound like the air raid siren. Nearly every night they would sound and send families running to the shelters. The ground would shake and the fires lit the skies, it was a dark time for London.

No matter how many times it happened, Joanna McCarthy never got used to it. The siren would send her heart into a flutter and she could never get her breathing under control. She didn't know if she would live to see the next day when the raids were underway. All she could do was cling to her brothers as it happened.

One morning after a particularly messy raid, she trudged over to her neighbor's house to see if they needed any help.

Joanna had known the Pevensie family since the time she could walk. Being one year older than Peter, she was always taller than him and lead the small group most of the time. This didn't put a damper on her and Peter's friendship, though. As he grew older, he wanted to be with Joanna's older brothers, they gratefully took him in as another brother. Susan had matured rather quickly; Joanna loved having her as a best friend. Lucy and Edmund liked to play along with them, but they often played by themselves when they got bored. Despite this, Joanna considered them some of her closest friends as well.

The war had brought them even closer as friends, she took every opportunity she had to help them after raids. The Pevensie's did the same.

"Susan!" She cried out to her long-time friend, running into her embrace. The two shook with fear and happiness, glad to see another day. Luckily their street hadn't been severely damaged, but there was still work to be done. The two girls linked arms and headed inside.

Joanna tried to stop comparing herself to Susan, but she never could. Susan had grown into such a beautiful girl, Joanna always felt behind. Her jet black hair stood out so much next to Susan. People often mistaked Joanna and Edmund for siblings because of it. Neither could she get it to stay pinned up like Susan's without using can after can of hairspray. To contrast her dark hair were her bright green eyes, which she didn't mind in the least bit because they were her father's eyes. Every time she looked in the mirror, she could see him in them, it was comforting. Puberty wasn't quite finished with her yet, either, she was still filling in her short figure and plump cheeks. Peter had finally beaten her height!

Mrs. Pevensie grinned at the sight of Joanna, "You have no idea how wonderful it is to see you,"

"Are you all alright?"

"As good as we can be, Lucy is a little shook up as she always is, though."

Joanna looked away, "Poor girl her age shouldn't have to see this."

"No one should," Peter said from the doorway.

Joanna locked eyes with him and smiled, "Glad to see you're okay,"

Peter smiled lightly, "And you, Jo."

"Why don't you three take a walk around the neighborhood and see what you can do to help?" Mrs. Pevensie suggested as she reached for some letters on the counter. The three older ones headed out the front door and made their way around to anyone they saw.

Jo couldn't help but think how close this had brought everyone in London together.

'Even though war is a terrible thing, it can bring the best out in some.'