Chapter 2: The Professor's Mansion

Jo's evening ended in laughter, for once. One of the dance halls in the city had opened up and was free admission for the night. Taking the opportunity, she snagged some friends on the way and danced the night away. She had even met some nice boys that wanted to dance with her another time. Happily, she took up the offer and decided to come back the next time it was open.

Not even war could take away the joy dancing brought.

The thought of saying goodbye to her friends the next day saddened her. She wished it was already said and done so she wouldn't have to bear seeing Lucy cry.
One by one she dropped off her tipsy friends, smiling at their playfulness. She was nearly home when the sirens began to sound.

'No, please no!'

Slamming on the gas she rounded her street corner and sped past the houses. Against the roaming spotlights, the outlines of the Luftwaffe against the dark sky chilled her to the bone.
There was a boom and her car swerved, the ground rattling as a bomb crashed into the ground.
Regaining herself, she backed up and turned around, pulling up to her house just as more bombs began to fall.

All at once the air around her went silent as the explosions shook the ground. All she could do was crouch and cover.

Once she was aware that the bombs hadn't hit her surrounding neighbors, she sprinted to her front door. Her shaky hands couldn't get a steady hold on the keyhole. Fumbling around, she began to pound on the door and scream for her mother.

Just as the door opened, there was an explosion so loud she went deaf. Throwing herself over her mother's body, they shielded themselves away from the glass flying from the windows.

Her head pounded and she couldn't see, all she could do was lay there.
Looking over, she sighed in relief at the sight of her mother sitting up. It was the last thing she saw before she fell asleep.

- - -

Jo pushed through the crowd of parents at the train station, searching for the Pevensies. She panicked when the whistle blew, signaling for the last chance to board. People didn't even stare after her black eye and scrapes across her cheeks, it wasn't an unusual sight after a raid.

"Jo!" A shrill voice rang through the air, Lucy.

Joanna ran to the girl with arms held wide, taking the small girl in her embrace.

"Come with us," she whispered.

Jo didn't say a word but held her tighter, "Write to me, promise?"

Lucy nodded against her neck and smiled, "Promise."

Standing up she gave a hasty hug to Edmund, who didn't seem to care. Next she turned to Susan and Peter. All her life she had grown up with them, went to school with them, and had come to love them. She hugged them both tightly and said goodbye.

"Please be safe," Peter whispered.

"Don't worry about me, Pete," Jo said back, taking his cheek in her hand. His smile always warmed her and she could feel the heat in her cheeks rise. Looking away, she took Susan's hands and squeezed them. The two smiled at each other one last time.

"On with you now," Mrs. Pevensie said from behind, scooting her children off.

Jo linked arms with her as they watched the kids find a seat. As the train began to move, Lucy stuck her head out the window, followed by Peter and Susan. They waved back to Jo and Mrs. Pevensie, who was leaning her head on Jo's shoulder. The two raised their hands and waved violently back.